Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Politics in the workplace

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you think people should discuss politics in the workplace?  After the debate, there are a few people wanting to discuss nearly everything.  I know that I disagree with a lot of what these people think, so I keep my mouth shut.  But I think the office should be a politics free zone.  I wish people would keep their opinions to themselves like I do, at least at work.  Outside of work, I don't care how they feel of what they discuss.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM

some people might discuss politics here at work, but it sure isn't me lol

annasmom1234
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I agree, but I work as a govt. contractor, so we are encouraged to vote, but not to talk about politics.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My boss is a major Romney fan. He has a sticker on his (fancy sports) car and is ALWAYS watching Fox News during our meetings. I play along with him since he's my boss, but I'm very close-lipped about my own feelings. I do not want to start that conversation, especially with the people I am forced to work with. I like them now. Let's not throw a wrench in teh mix.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

My boss is the same way, although I think he tones it down a bit around me now. We were in a meeting about 2 years ago where he proudly said the amount your vote counts in the elections should be based on your income level. He also very much hates gay people, although he seems to back down from that when I'm around. We don't talk politics. 

Quoting mickstinator:

My boss is a major Romney fan. He has a sticker on his (fancy sports) car and is ALWAYS watching Fox News during our meetings. I play along with him since he's my boss, but I'm very close-lipped about my own feelings. I do not want to start that conversation, especially with the people I am forced to work with. I like them now. Let's not throw a wrench in teh mix.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I do talk politics a little with certain people. The other engineer was definitely pro-life and anti-gay marriage when I started working here. He has now become pro-choice and is not as strong against gay marriage. Talking about it does help open some eyes, although it can be bad with the wrong person.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Wow. That's about as un-American as it gets. I don't think I could handle that if someone said it to my face. I find it repulsive!

Quoting Nighttiger:

My boss is the same way, although I think he tones it down a bit around me now. We were in a meeting about 2 years ago where he proudly said the amount your vote counts in the elections should be based on your income level. He also very much hates gay people, although he seems to back down from that when I'm around. We don't talk politics. 

Quoting mickstinator:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I definitely don't, but as long as it isn't interfering with their job or colleague relationships there's not much you can do to stop it - free speech and all ;)

KatieBellsMom
by Tracy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I hate it. There are 6 of us (3 guys & 3 girls) in this office & the 3 guys talk about it ALL. THE. TIME.

I totally disagre with them so I keep my mouth shut...but it doesn't stop them from talking right near my office & I have to sit & listen to it all damn day.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I stay out of political conversations everywhere because when it comes to politics I'll freely admit that if we don't agree, I'm not listening, I'm talking and I'm not fighting fair. 

simple smile

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

givenshl
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I think if they are going to discuss it, it should be during their scheduled break or lunch time and discuss it among others who want to participate in the discussion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)