Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is this just completely unreasonable? Travel prep question?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 19 Replies

Setup... I have a five-day convention I have to attend for work. The day after I get back home from that, at 4 in the morning, one of my two high school kids has to leave for a trip to an event for her field of study...five days away from home with two dozen other kids and three teachers. I typically do the packing for the family, and I'm aware of TSA regulations and so forth, so it's a good fit. I even tend to pack for my husband when he travels for work or pleasure.

Is it completely ridiculous of me to purchase my child three more pairs of jeans (she has enough of everything else to make the trip and still have daily wear while I'm gone without additional purchases), so I can pack her luggage for her trip BEFORE I leave on mine and just stash it in the closet until she needs it? My mindset is that I really don't want to roll in here at 8 pm and have to double check her luggage to make sure she hasn't forgotten anything...then make sure what she needs (they have a dress code for the event) is clean and so forth. I have only 7.5 hours of possible sleep time between when I get back and when she has to leave. I don't want to waste any of it trying to make last-minute fixes for her trip. Part of me says I'm being reasonable. Another part says it's a useless expense and I'm being ridiculous. I can just pack everything else and tell her to have a stack of three more pair of jeans waiting for me to pack when I get home. That will force her to be proactive and wash the jeans and set them aside for me to pack.

Yes, before someone asks...I am a bit OCD and have some anxiety problems, but so does this child. Grin... We're usually pretty functional, but sometimes I feel I'm going overboard. Thankfully, my husband doesn't argue it when I do things like this.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Not knowing the OCD part, I would have said it was overboard.  She is old enough to make sure her stuff is clean and packed.  Knowing the OCD part, I get it, and you need to do what you need to do so you don't sit up all night and stress on your trip knowing you will need to go over her bag.

jhslove
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

This. She can do her laundry while you're gone, and get herself packed.

One thing that might help (I do this every time I fly) is to sit down and make a list of everything she's going to need, and then check off items as she packs them. You can sit down with her to make the list before you leave, and that way she won't forget anything.

Quoting deccaf:

Not knowing the OCD part, I would have said it was overboard.  She is old enough to make sure her stuff is clean and packed.  Knowing the OCD part, I get it, and you need to do what you need to do so you don't sit up all night and stress on your trip knowing you will need to go over her bag.

TS9509
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I would pack it and stash it. I'm OCD and get your point. Also with you knowing the regs and her not it would be a easy chance of a mistake if she does it herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

This.  Definitely.  She's going to have to learn how to pack/do her own laundry.  Help her make a checklist, otherwise leave the responsibility to her.  Also, jeans can be worn more than once. :)

Quoting jhslove:

One thing that might help (I do this every time I fly) is to sit down and make a list of everything she's going to need, and then check off items as she packs them. You can sit down with her to make the list before you leave, and that way she won't forget anything.

Quoting deccaf:

BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jhslove:

Actually, I always make a list anyway. Going over the list with her isn't that difficult, and I know (I really do know) that I can give the list to my husband and just have him oversee it. I trust him, but that niggling need to double check is always there.

I was actually thinking of a compromise here. If I had her pack everything but the jeans with me overseeing and just tell DH to make sure those last three pair of jeans go in while I'm gone, I think I could just ignore the need to double check when I got back. Grin... Thank goodness he's an understanding man!

BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

That IS another concern, since this is her first time flying without me. I've always double checked her bags for her before she goes, for this reason and the OCD ones.

Quoting TS9509:

I would pack it and stash it. I'm OCD and get your point. Also with you knowing the regs and her not it would be a easy chance of a mistake if she does it herself.

BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Uh...not really. She works with animals. So the jeans she wears at events get smelly, smeared with mud or other unmentionables... Honestly, I hope any TSA agent checking through her checked bag on the way home is wearing GLOVES. I think that's required anyway, and I don't mind cleaning her clothes after an event, but I wouldn't want to do that for a complete stranger. That stuff gets nasty.

Quoting aimesnyc:

Also, jeans can be worn more than once. :)

Quoting jhslove:

aimesnyc
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Ew...yeah...in her case, multiple pairs of jeans would probably be necessary...and maybe some Febreze? lol ;)

Quoting BrennaLyons:

Uh...not really. She works with animals. So the jeans she wears at events get smelly, smeared with mud or other unmentionables... Honestly, I hope any TSA agent checking through her checked bag on the way home is wearing GLOVES. I think that's required anyway, and I don't mind cleaning her clothes after an event, but I wouldn't want to do that for a complete stranger. That stuff gets nasty.

Quoting aimesnyc:

Also, jeans can be worn more than once. :)

Quoting jhslove:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Honestly?  I would make a list of what she needs to pack and have her pack it.  Your DH can help if necessary.  It's a good chance for her to learn some independence.  I wouldn't buy extra clothes and pack for my high schooler.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure your daughter would appreciate a few new pairs of jeans! haha.

If I was that concerned, I'd probably pack what I could for her and advise her to wash her pants/anything extra while you're gone. She'll also need to pack her daily items (like a toothbrush) and surely a high schooler can handle that on her own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)