Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

downside of being salaried

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
  • 14 Replies
No overtime pay! I worked 60 hours last week, what with parent/teacher conferences and after hours training. I have two more really long weeks coming up soon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liltigersmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Program directors, in my field, are paid on a salary, it comes out to $12 an hour for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I am salaried & yes working over 40 hours with no OT $$ sucks, but in my case I also have more flexibilty, higher overall salary than hourly employees, if I happen to work less than 40 hours for whatever reason my pay is the same, & much easier to budget with a set amount every paycheck. So, the tradeoffs are worth the lack of OT to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM
If I were hourly, I would make more than $20 per hour. But. I work way more than 40 hours every week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campingmomof4
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I am salary.  I don't work more then 40 hours  a week very often.  We have a few times a year that I have to put some long hours in but it is workable.  I also take an hour lunch every day and get paid for it.  So it works out pretty well for me.   If I am late because of traffic I don't have to worry about it.  My boss marks the girls that are hourly time sheets up all the time because they don't get in or get over 40 hours.  She think they should  have exactly 40 hours no more and no less.  What the heck is 5 or 10 mins either way.   I just don't get it.  

adulation
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, I don't want to be salary wth my company.  you are penalized for working less than 43 hours/week and I hate that.  I still get full benefits with my hourly wage and if I do work over 40 hours I get time and half for it.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I'm salary but I make sure they give me comp time if I'm required to work extra. For example, I had to fly out on a Sunday morning for a work conference, so I took the following Thursday off. Didn't make up for the 12 hour days I worked when I was there, but I take that time elsewhere :)

darbyakeep45
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Hugs mama!  I used to be salaried at my last several jobs but I'm now hourly and I'm fine with that:)  I also work part time so it works out well.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM

:( that stinks

Luisa621
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Quoting christaberk:

If I were hourly, I would make more than $20 per hour. But. I work way more than 40 hours every week.

What do you do if you don't mind me asking.
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM
As much as I'd like to make management, I'd really miss hourly pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN