Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

3 year plan

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DH Mike spoke with his advisor yesterday about his school plan. He has about 60 hours left, which will work out to approximately 3 years at the rate he's going. He would be farther, but he had quite a few credits (like 20!) that didn't transfer when he left his community college. It's kind of annoying, but what can ya do? 

His GPA is a 3.4 and I'm so proud. His advisor said he was going at a good rate for someone with a full time job (and a family) and she recommended he continue at the same pace. 

He has also knocked out most of his advanced classes, so the credits left are easier ones - a physical science, a humanities, and so on. No more upper level history, which is great because those classes require like 10 books per class per semester. 

And he can hopefully test out of up to 12 hours of Spanish within the next year since he's been working on Rosetta Stone. Depending on that, we could shave off at least a semester! 

She also told him about a dependent scholarship for students with children in daycare. How am I just now finding out about this?! I've searched the website many times looking for applicable scholarships. Lame. But hopefully we can get in on that ASAP. 

So in 3 years, Mike will be walking across the stage with a double major in history and education, a teaching degree, and a bright future. : D 

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

that's awesome!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Go Mike!!!  Good for him.  I am looking at about 3 years if I decide to go Masters.  If I stick to Bachelors, I will be done next winter (Dec 2013!) 
When he is done you will be going, if I remember correctly.

Megan11587
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Very neat!  Have you tried appealing the credits that didn't transfer?  I had classes that didn't transfer when I switched schools, appealed it, and they approved a few of the classes for credit.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Go Mike!!!  Good for him.  I am looking at about 3 years if I decide to go Masters.  If I stick to Bachelors, I will be done next winter (Dec 2013!) 
When he is done you will be going, if I remember correctly.

Yes, and I will hopefully be able to either quit or work sparingly so I can finish it more expediently. I will also be going in with a few more credits than he did, so my hope is that I can get mine done in about 2-3 years and then consider going straight into a masters program. 

You're so close! It's exciting to have an end in sight. We've both been working on this since we graduated high school. Having a family, mortgage, and jobs just slows it down a little. 

mickstinator
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quoting Megan11587:

Very neat!  Have you tried appealing the credits that didn't transfer?  I had classes that didn't transfer when I switched schools, appealed it, and they approved a few of the classes for credit.

I'll have to look up which ones they were. He was originally going to get a criminal justice degree, so he has several criminal justice credits. I don't know how they could apply those to his current major, but I know there has to a few that could be considered equivalent. 

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Yeah!!!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM

YAY! It feels good to walk that stage!

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Awesome! I will (fingers crossed) finally have my BS next November. I am going to throw a party when I get that diploma :)
mickstinator
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Quoting preacherskid:

Awesome! I will (fingers crossed) finally have my BS next November. I am going to throw a party when I get that diploma :)

It will be a well-deserved party! Only 13 months! That flies by so fast. We as mothers all know how quickly months and years go by. Soon you'll be on your way to the rest of your life. : )

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Quoting mickstinator:

Yes I am looking forward to it- jobs around here are minimum wage, low or no benefits, don't need a degree above AA which I got a few years ago, or management, salary, benefits, degree and/or experience required. I will be happy to move up/out of my current position, my department offers no option for advancement at our location, I would have to transfer to a different state :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN