Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can I vent about missing comp by $13??

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am a manager  and so of course driving sales is a huge priority.  Yesterday we did 118% to plan but missed comp by $13 (comp is our last year number and therefore pretty important).

I felt really bad about falling short only $13! And normally I would have just bought something myself, but I was sick on monday and missed work and had to go to the DR and get Rx meds so after that money is tight.

So my DM has e-mailed me twice already trying to figure out what I "should have done better" to get the money in.  stayed open longer? (uh, at 9pm when we close there were zero people in the store, so you want me to waste payroll on zero dollars in sales???)

I'm super annoyed because for the week so far we are up nearly $3000 to comp, so $13 in the grand scheme of things is nothing!

on top of that, when I went in yesterday we were down on our day by $200 and I busted my butt and dealt with some really rude customers to bring in $600 my first hour, making up for our deficit for the day.  then with my next 2 hours I managed to put us up by over $200 because I knew the evening would be dead.  I also brought the ADS up to over $32.  She always talks about controlling our controllables and that's exactly what I did. I couldn'thelp that only about 6 people came into the store the last hour and a half, one of them was an even exchange for a damaged handbag, one bought a $14 necklace, and then 2 ladies were getting door prizes for their ministy group and were on a $30 budget!  I mean, we helped them find some really cute stuff for $30 but I can't control that they literally couldn't spend more than that!

anywayyy.  She hasn't responded to the second one yet.  And I lmost felt like I was throwing my GSM under the bus by pointing out that we were down on our day while she was SM, so now I'm nervous about her saying something to me about it tomorrow, but I don't see how its solely my fault we missed plan for the day when she didn't make her segments!

SO ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYY

thanks for letting me vent!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I am sorry, that sounds so stressful. I bet you are really talented I would do pretty poorly in sales; I think it sounds like a really tough environment always trying to meet quotas.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Vent away! Sounds like you're doing great. Your DM needs to look at the bigger picture!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adulation
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM

thanks for letting me vent!

christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Vent away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Vent away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

yep, vent all you need! it sounds like you've been busting your butt to make numbers, hopefully they can see that!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Hope they can see that. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Vent away!  I think it sucks that you are essentially being held responsible for things beyond your control.  It sounds like you are doing everything you can to make the dollars roll in.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

My sister works in a similar environment. She is the only other full time employee (along with the owner) to a high-end boutique. Her boss will get mad at her for little things that are really out of her control. It's a very stressful situation. I'm sorry your boss was being so picky. I wish they would appreciate all you've done instead of berating you for what you couldn't do! 

strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

awwww man!!  Ijsut heard a similar complaint from a fellow coworker who works one of our retail stores...its a boutique type spot....monthy reports are great...its the daily during the week reports where they tipically fall short...but they wrackup on weekends...it just makes the daily grind disappointing...since those numbers just LOOK like nothing...however like Imentioned...end of the month overall, meets and exceeds...smh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)