Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 year old's alarm.....

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I posted a month or so about my 3 year old waking before dawn at like 4-5 in the blessed morning. So I purchased one of those toddler alarms. It was a cute little owl. You can push it's belly and it glows yellow and tells you to go to back sleep. At the wake up time it glows green and if you push its belly, it tells you it is time to wake.

Well..............At first DS kept waking and pretending to ignore owl. THEN next several nights, he proceeded to wake and bring owl only to tell me owl was broken & wrong and it was morning. THEN he tired to break and reset owl himself. THEN several nights, he would hit owl and tantrum at owl because owl would not tell him it was morning. AND NOW LAST, he has told me owl has flown away. I found him the first couple of times (bathtub, under the bed). but he finally has hidden owl someplace unusual (perhaps thrown owl away); I cannot find owl ANYWHERE. And yes, he still wakes at any time he desires. UGH!

quietI just want more sleep.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Sorry, but I'm laughing at your post right now! Hope you find owl & get some aleep!!

When my oldest was little there were different shades of dark. If it's black dark outside you need to be sleeping. If it's blue dark outside & you're not tired you can read/play quietly in your room. You can't come wake up mommy until there is no more dark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't help laughing!  The sleepless nights this last week must be making me loopy.  I hope you find owl (check the laundry basket).  I also hope your 3 year old finds out the wonder of sleep! You could get a baby gate and tell him that it will only open when it is light out!?

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Oh no! LMAO. We installed our light in a place where he can't reach it :) Ours is automatic so it glows blue all night long until 6 am when it turns yellow and into a sun. He has zero control over it (thankfully)!  I hope you figure something out that works soon (and find the owl)!

angiemoreau
by Angie on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

thats pretty cute! Sorry Owl flew away :)

jurnee14
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I know its not funny , but I cant help laughing,lol. What a creative kiddo you have!  My grandson is the same age and gets up at night, they explainned to him that its rude to wake people up when its dark, so he will take a pillow and blanket onto the couch and a few books. 

lnk8522
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

blackout shades for the room

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Quoting lnk8522:

blackout shades for the room

It is pitch dark outside, doesn't phase him, lol.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Quoting jurnee14:

I know its not funny , but I cant help laughing,lol. What a creative kiddo you have!  My grandson is the same age and gets up at night, they explainned to him that its rude to wake people up when its dark, so he will take a pillow and blanket onto the couch and a few books. 

Well, he can find trouble when we do not attend to him. He flat out refuses to stay in his room. Manners are not his strong suit yet, lol.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Quoting Nighttiger:

Oh no! LMAO. We installed our light in a place where he can't reach it :) Ours is automatic so it glows blue all night long until 6 am when it turns yellow and into a sun. He has zero control over it (thankfully)!  I hope you figure something out that works soon (and find the owl)!

Me too, we meet with another therapist next week, I am so hoping she is a genius and can help me parent this quirky kid!!!
christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Smart kid!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)