Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Morning shenanigans

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
So Malachi has realized that perhaps waking mommy and daddy at 4:30 is not the best strategy. Soooooo, he took his newly turned 3 year old self, busted off child safety on the pantry, scooted the island chair over to the high shelf and proceeded to get immense amounts of chocolate chips, bars of dark and white baking chocolate. He then helps himself to another daredevil feat to an even taller "childproof" area to get scissors, so he can open the packages. What he couldn't eat, he put in his crib for safe keeping!!!

Thank goodness he did not break a bone or stab himself with the scissors!

Omgeeee, what to do with this child! Have you ever put real reverse locks on your child's door?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Oh my gosh!!!!!! That sounds like something from a movie!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Oh, my word. That's worth repeating to his future girlfriends. Haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Oh wow!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
What a stinker! We haven' done the reverse lock, but I would consider it!

When ODS began wandering after tuck in, we put a baby gate up in the hallway, which was enough to deter him and send him back to bed. Not sure that would work for yours as he has great problem solving skills!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

LOL, kids are so smart. Luckily I didn't have this problem.

BelindaDuvessa
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I have this issue with my 5 year old.  He constantly thinks of nothing but food, and was raiding the fridge and pantry every night.  We do have a little hook lock on his door, but we rarely use it anymore.  He's gotten alot better about not raiding things, but we get the occassional issue.  The first night we were in the new apartment, he took a brand new, freshly opened half gallon of milk in his room in the middle of the night and proceeded to drink it.  Well, it spilled most of it in the carpet.  Found that out the hard way the next day.

So you aren't alone.  It will get better.  The lock has helped us.  We only put it on as we are going to bed, and we keep our door open just in case.  It may sound cruel to some parents, but unfortunately it's necessary with some kids.  And it won't be for his entire life.  He's already seeming to grow out of it some.  We haven't had an incident in almost a month I think, if not more than that.  So there is hope, you just have to work with him and re-iterate that if he needs something to let you know.

Someone also suggested to me to put stuff down at his level that he is allowed to eat, to get when he does get hungry.  You might try that and see if it deters him.

WonderWomanSV
by Stacey on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM

We put a child gate up at his door. That kept him in his room and he stayed occupied with his toys til we got up in the mornings.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM
That is awesome it works for you.

My son scoffs at gates, child locks and any type of alarm device telling him to stay is bed. He actually somewhat giggles at gates and things out of his reach, because I swear, he sees it as a fun obstacle game, *sigh* he wears me out, lol.

Quoting WonderWomanSV:

We put a child gate up at his door. That kept him in his room and he stayed occupied with his toys til we got up in the mornings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Thanks. I have thought about Your suggestions. i am praying this is a phase.

There is one type of lock, that he can not open yet, so I think we will put that on the some cabinets with food. I am unsure why he is hoarding unhealthy foods in his room. He has done it several nights in a row even after the event above. We give him treats and lots of healthy snacks whenever he wants, so it is mind-boggling to me why he continues to just scurry around after DH and I go to bed to gather and eat foods and hide them in his crib and room.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

I have this issue with my 5 year old.  He constantly thinks of nothing but food, and was raiding the fridge and pantry every night.  We do have a little hook lock on his door, but we rarely use it anymore.  He's gotten alot better about not raiding things, but we get the occassional issue.  The first night we were in the new apartment, he took a brand new, freshly opened half gallon of milk in his room in the middle of the night and proceeded to drink it.  Well, it spilled most of it in the carpet.  Found that out the hard way the next day.

So you aren't alone.  It will get better.  The lock has helped us.  We only put it on as we are going to bed, and we keep our door open just in case.  It may sound cruel to some parents, but unfortunately it's necessary with some kids.  And it won't be for his entire life.  He's already seeming to grow out of it some.  We haven't had an incident in almost a month I think, if not more than that.  So there is hope, you just have to work with him and re-iterate that if he needs something to let you know.

Someone also suggested to me to put stuff down at his level that he is allowed to eat, to get when he does get hungry.  You might try that and see if it deters him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4healthyeats
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

wow. i know someone that did put one of those locks with chain on their child's door. They did it after the kid was found at 3am sleep walking towards the highway.  their pedi recommended the chain so they could still see out and it wouldn't scar the child.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)