Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Home early

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

As I was working, an announcement came over our speaker saying police are evacuating the building, grab your stuff and leave. Totally freaky! They didn't give a reason why, but as I left, I counted at least 10 police cars and 3 fire trucks.  I do wonder if it has something to do with the missing girl in Denver :(  Either way, totally creepy. At least I got a few extra hours at home with the family :)

Whats the weirdest thing to happen at your work?

ETA: I just found it on the news. Apparently there was a shooting a block away, but no more details than that at this point.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

that is really weird! : /

nothing weird like that has happened to me, although i am home early today, too. had to come home for an appointment.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM

It's nice you got to go home early, it's terrible there was a shooting.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Wow. A little scary.

Worst for me was when I was teaching & we had a tornado. We were all in our places (mine was a hallway) but it was near the end of the school day. We were in those positions for over an hour and parents were angry that we weren't releasing students...but it wasn't safe. Fortunately for us, the tornado touched down in the next town over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Extra time home is nice. I can't think of anything crazy happening at work besides the drama with the students. We've had some pretty scary snow storms which makes the drive home pretty awful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

we were on lock down earlier this week for a bunch of broken CFL's, that's probably the strangest. We were ecavuated once because the business park was flooding.

BeachLifeMama
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Wow, I'll freak out too. Nothing really weird like yours but I work at Peds clinic. One time there was a mom who just started spanking the heck out of her dd for not cooperating when the dr is checking her. The mom was yelling loud and can hear the spanking sound that the 911 dispatcher can hear her.
BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I was working in a behavioral program and had a handful of kids out on the field. We could see a bunch of police and ambulances half a block away, but the school didn't call out a lockdown, so we just stayed out there for a while and figured it was an accident of some sort. An hour later, we found out some brain trust at the school dept called a lockdown at every school within 5 miles of us...except us, and we were the ones right next to the MANHUNT for the guy who shot two people in that house. Uh...yeah. Great work, morons!

Oddly enough, we had lockdowns about once a month, while one of the kids from the other behavioral program in our wing was taken out by police. Sadly, that was a common occurance.

BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Now...students? Let's see...the one that puked over half my classroom was a joy. Not. The one who raised his fist to me was less a joy, but he realized by the look on my face that I WOULD take him down if he hit me, so he decided to drop his hand and sit down. The one who informed me that I couldn't give him detention, because he already had detention (afterschool AND recess) for the last six weeks of school... Yeah...that was special. By comparison, the behavioral kids were a joy, and I got punched, kicked, and scratched over there. At least the behavioral kids had a biological reason for being badly behaved.

The most interesting day care kid I ever had to deal with was one who had to be put inpatient in a mental institution after he tried to kill his younger sister in my care. We had to hold him off with a highchair while we waited for the police and his mother to show up, because he was intent on getting past us to her.

4healthyeats
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Lets see there were a few but i dont remember them all. A mis used / malfunctioning microwave left a big cloud of smoke about 4ft high covering half a floor. That kicked us out for a few hours and stole ouur lunch break. Then a stabbing on the weekend by a scorned lover, yes in the building. Then there were times i took leave bc the construction next to us produce horrible chemical smmells. i was pregnant and it was making me sick. We arent allowed toaster bc years ago someones toaster caused a fire after a bunch of files fell on it and destroyed a few floors of that building.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM

How scary. I've had to leave a building I was working in for a fire drill and once for someone burning popcorn in a microwave. One of the buildings in another campus was evacuated for a shooting in the parking lot. Somone hit several of the windows of the building.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)