Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms
I hade a dream eerily similar to the new show Revolution (no electricity, internet, gas, water, etc.) except it was restricted to our area of the country & was storm related. But in the dream it was very real - as dreams tend to be.

Now that I'm awake I realize that if there ever WAS a big disaster we'd probably be dead in a week.

- no extra gas for the vehicles
- only one small propane tank for our camping stove
- no charcoal for our grill
- a lot of bottled water but it wouldn't really go far
- no real stockpile of food
- no access to cash as we only use our debit card & ATMs or credit card machines didn't work in the dream
- we do have wood for the fireplace for heat but as a full time heat source it wouldn't last that long

I'm not talking end of the world stuff, but we seriously aren't ready to survive a disaster. How about you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM
Replies (11-14):
campingmomof4
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Last Halloween we had a big snow storm.  We lost power for 7 days.   We had no problem.  I have a $5 phone to hook up when we don't have any electric for the cordless phones or our cell phones go dead.  Our phones lines worked we had no electric.  We had plenty of propane.  I cooked on our gas grill and side burner the whole time.   We had plenty of food.   We did use a generator at night to keep the 2 freezers and frig cold.   We also used the generator once a day to run water into the house.  We have a well so no electric no water pumping in.   We used the wood burning stove for heat.  We have about 9 cords of wood for the winter so we had plenty of wood. 

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM

nope, but I don't have the money or room to stockpile even if I wanted to. 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

No. We have gas heat/stove so we'd be okay that way but we don't really have anything else stocked up. We're hoping to start stocking up soon though.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Us too. Haha. :-/

Quoting Marti123:

Umm, we could last a day or two tops. It would get pretty ugly after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)