Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

why do daycares charge for time they dont work for?

Posted by   + Show Post
I think it is nonsense to pay for childcare days when my kid isnt attending the childcare program. Am i the only parent that feels like holidays and sick days should be no cost?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
4healthyeats
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Remember that daycare centers are a business to make money. If that benefit attracts better more caring/attentive/qualified employees, i dont mind that payment. Their sole source of revenue are what we pay. Where do you think the owner gets the money to pay the employees that are taking care of your kid(s)?

I get what you are saying. DH doesn't get paid leave that has caused us a burden when he had to stay home with the kids. They sent our kids home over a half a dozen times or more for false alarms and exagerations in the last 8 months. I am looking for a per day home provider that isnt looking for a way to save money by sending kids home on thursday afternoon requiring a dr note on made up symptoms i cant seesee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tapies2324
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

they get grants from the government as well as your money. They bget plenty from welfare. i don't buy that.

4healthyeats
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Their state funding was cut big time here back in 09. Many places went under.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tapies2324
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

sorry to hear that.

Quoting 4healthyeats:

Their state funding was cut big time here back in 09. Many places went under.

tapies2324
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

They owners get money from parents, grant money, and state welfare. Day care workers do not make near enough for what they do, neither do geriatric care workers. Believe me the employer is doing just fine. He is in Barbados sipping on the mai tai laughing at the underpaid peons.

Quoting 4healthyeats:

Remember that daycare centers are a business to make money. If that benefit attracts better more caring/attentive/qualified employees, i dont mind that payment. Their sole source of revenue are what we pay. Where do you think the owner gets the money to pay the employees that are taking care of your kid(s)?

I get what you are saying. DH doesn't get paid leave that has caused us a burden when he had to stay home with the kids. They sent our kids home over a half a dozen times or more for false alarms and exagerations in the last 8 months. I am looking for a per day home provider that isnt looking for a way to save money by sending kids home on thursday afternoon requiring a dr note on made up symptoms i cant seesee

a06z08mama
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM
My sil does daycare in her home. She charges even if the kid is not there. Her funding is VERY minimal from the state. Guidelines have become very strict. She is actually pretty reasonably priced too. She has so many "vacation" days she allows the parents to take without charging.

My daycare lady charges hourly. She also does it out of her home too. My kids are her only kids to watch. So when mine are not there she doesn't have any income. Plus her charges are only $2/hr per kid! So she is very cheap and doesn't get any state help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinplus2
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids went to a daycare for 9 years where we paid a set fee per week for full time care whether or not our kids attended on any particular day. It was explained to me that they needed to do it that way to retain full time staff, afford to pay benefits, etc. As my kids got great care there, I was ok with the policy. We did get one no-pay week off per year if the kids were absent 5 days straight. Usually, this would be Christmas week so it left a little extra in the budget for presents.

mamakmak
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM
I pay a weekly rate, and I have never had a problem paying that way. I LOVE my kids daycare, so I definately feel they are worth it. Thet are very reasonable with the holidays that they do close on...maybe 8 days a year (this includes their xmas break)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

We use an in-home provider. She gets 2 weeks PTO plus holidays paid for. I don't mind. Those days I usually have off as well, so I get paid for them right with her. If I want to use my 2 weeks vacation when she does, I have that option. Otherwise, we do get some vacation time not paid if we take a vacation. I have no issues paying for the extra days because she is an amazing provider and doesn't charge that much to start with. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I never really had a problem with it. They schoo was closed less than 10 days a year and every family got 2 weeks vacation that they didn't have to pay for. If they were closed more often I would have more of a problem. Plus many people would constantly find other arrangements if there wasn't a set fee and the daycare would lose money because they're holding a spot for a child that never comes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)