Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

why do daycares charge for time they dont work for?

Posted by   + Show Post
I think it is nonsense to pay for childcare days when my kid isnt attending the childcare program. Am i the only parent that feels like holidays and sick days should be no cost?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I agree. I don't mind that I have to pay when I don't use it just so I can keep the kids there. They deserve to have financial security.

Quoting twinplus2:

My kids went to a daycare for 9 years where we paid a set fee per week for full time care whether or not our kids attended on any particular day. It was explained to me that they needed to do it that way to retain full time staff, afford to pay benefits, etc. As my kids got great care there, I was ok with the policy. We did get one no-pay week off per year if the kids were absent 5 days straight. Usually, this would be Christmas week so it left a little extra in the budget for presents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
do you realize what that funding is?

do you realize how little that funding is?

if your child qualifies for the usda food program, the daycare gets paid 58 CENTS for feeding your child breakfast or a snack. they get paid $1.04 for feeding lunch or dinner.

do you spend that little on your kids food? no. neither does a daycare!

what about all the power and water a daycare goes through? what about all the safety equipment that a daycare needs that you don't even see? what about all the playground equipment and art supplies?

daycares pay for A LOT more than the staff. they have a lot of expenses that most businesses don't.

Quoting tapies2324:

they get grants from the government as well as your money. They bget plenty from welfare. i don't buy that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christyg
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I run a small daycare from my home. When I first started, I only charged when the kid came ..... After ONE winter (3 months time period), I lost over $5,000 of income from kids not coming on various days. ~ I started looking for another job, just to fed my family. It was then that I realized I needed to either charge for the spot, regardless of attendance, or close my business. We are NOT just a bunch of mom sitting around the house, doing nothing, "babysitting" your child out of the goodness of our hearts. It is a business and we have bills to pay whether your kid is here or not. It should be looked at as a monthly bill that you pay, just the same as all your other bills.

christyg
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Whats all this talk about FUNDING?!?! I dont know where or who you think pays something??? I have never heard of it, besides subsidized care, which pays less than my regular rate.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

This.

My daycare does give five days "vacation" so five days a year when kids are out (either on vacation or out sick) we don't have to pay for that day.  My old daycare didn't do that, though, and I had no problem with that.

Quoting Marti123:

I think it is fair that the daycare business owner has consistent revenue even with holidays. The lease on the building, benefits to the employees, etc. does not get pro-rated for the holiday.

happymommy1105
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM
the only other funding there is besides subsidized care is the usda food program. which at the end of the month you may see $50 from.

the child has to qualify based on parent income and you literally get pennies back for the dollars you spend on food.

the program also requires lots of paperwork. most people don't use it cause it is more work than its worth.

Quoting christyg:

Whats all this talk about FUNDING?!?! I dont know where or who you think pays something??? I have never heard of it, besides subsidized care, which pays less than my regular rate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Holiday should be no cost, if it's a home day care that doesn't pay holidays to employees, but in a day care center, that's why you pay for them. By law, they have to provide that to employees.

I understand why they charge for sick days as well. When your child is sick, they still have expenses involved in the preps they have made to care for your child and are unlikely able to fill your child's spot with another child to make the money up that way. If your child, for instance, is in a class with a 4:1 ratio, they still have to pay the teachers to be there, whether your child is there or not. Food is usually cooked on the basis of full capacity and not dropped, child by child, as someone is out or leaves early, and the food was already purchased for the day before your child was out sick. Not to mention that overhead expenses -- like utilities -- are the same whether or not your child is there. You are paying for a block of their time, whether you use it or not. You are asking them to hold a spot for your child, and that is what they are doing.

BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

And USDA does not pay you for children who are not there. They can come in at any time and compare your attendance logs against the number of kids you claim on the USDA forms for that meal. So, the day care has purchased the food and cooked the food but won't get any reimbursement from USDA for a child that isn't there for the meal.

Quoting happymommy1105:

the only other funding there is besides subsidized care is the usda food program. which at the end of the month you may see $50 from.

the child has to qualify based on parent income and you literally get pennies back for the dollars you spend on food.

the program also requires lots of paperwork. most people don't use it cause it is more work than its worth.

BrennaLyons
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM

What we used to do was set up an agreement with the parents. We would hold a 20 or 30 or 40 hour spot for their child on certain hours. The parents were required to pay that amount every week (or two weeks...whatever pay schedule they were on). If they went under, they couldn't roll it forward. If they went over, they paid for the overage at the next base pay, but they needed to ask permission to stay late, because if we expect a child to leave at 5, and we had a full evening, there was no ROOM for a child to stay late. Our parents learned to estimate realistically what they would need. If they couldn't risk not having the care after 5 pm, they would schedule in a full 40 or more and have us hold the space open for them. If they could make arrangements with grandma or something, in the case that we didn't have room, they went for the 30 hours and risked us saying we were full. One way or the other, we were a business, and our aim was to stay full, if possible.

Quoting christyg:

I run a small daycare from my home. When I first started, I only charged when the kid came ..... After ONE winter (3 months time period), I lost over $5,000 of income from kids not coming on various days. ~ I started looking for another job, just to fed my family. It was then that I realized I needed to either charge for the spot, regardless of attendance, or close my business. We are NOT just a bunch of mom sitting around the house, doing nothing, "babysitting" your child out of the goodness of our hearts. It is a business and we have bills to pay whether your kid is here or not. It should be looked at as a monthly bill that you pay, just the same as all your other bills.

mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM
It is frustrating, especially when it is a planned absence but I understand that they have fixed costs that need to be met. This includes paying a teacher in your LO's classroom even when they aren't there.
We had much more flexible providers in our home DC where LO went for her first year and a half. We didn't pay for vacations if we gave them 2 wks notice. But, they also didn't give partial credits if she was out part of the week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)