Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why do daycares charge for time they dont work for?

Posted by   + Show Post
I think it is nonsense to pay for childcare days when my kid isnt attending the childcare program. Am i the only parent that feels like holidays and sick days should be no cost?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Replies (41-47):
Christa4924
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

It's just frustrating when a daycare closes for small holidays, like Presidents Day, when I don't get the day off paid.  Then not only do I have to pay them anyway, but I'm paying even more to pay for someone else to watch them that day. 

Also, I would only understand parents paying a nanny for paid vacation, not a daycare.  In the case of a daycare, the parents are not the employer.  I do, however, understand still having to pay when your kid is absent, since they have to hold the spot etc. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Because they are open and ready for your child. I pay for full time child care because I expect then to be there when I have to work. Just because my child is sick does not mean they should lose pay because my child won't be there.......... They are there and willing............

I also pay our DCP a weeks vacation a year. I pay for Holidays he does not go along with days I choose not to take him being sick or not.

trebelcleff
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mind paying for it once in a while, what I hate is paying for their two weeks of vacation each year... so for two weeks (at least ours breaks it up) I have to pay for them to go on vacation AND pay to have someone else watch my child... so I get to pay double while they get a week (or two) off.  I wish someone would pay ME to have two weeks off each year!!!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Quoting trebelcleff:

I don't mind paying for it once in a while, what I hate is paying for their two weeks of vacation each year... so for two weeks (at least ours breaks it up) I have to pay for them to go on vacation AND pay to have someone else watch my child... so I get to pay double while they get a week (or two) off.  I wish someone would pay ME to have two weeks off each year!!!

I do....plus more....which is why I had no problem paying my DCPs.  They have earned it.

cubbies23
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Do you pay your utilities and house payment when you go on vacation? You are not using them so like you said you shouldn't have to pay them. I have a home day care and my parents pay whether they come or not. They signed a contract for this service and agreed to pay a set rate every week.
Regarding all of the state funds that are out there. I care for a foster child whose daycare is paid by the state. This child has been in my care for 2 months and I have not received any payment from the state for his care. All the paperwork has been sent in. I have called and asked when I will get paid and am told 6-8 weeks after the bill has been sent in. I had to tell the foster mom that if I do not get paid soon she will either have to pay me herself or find other care until I am paid. Would you like it if your boss said to you that you will be paid 6-8 weeks after you worked?
CampClan
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I work at a daycare & can sort of answer that for you. The center is staffing & ordering food for each child there- just because your child is out sick doesn't mean that the staff is not there to care for your child nor the food that your child would have eaten (or supplies used etc). Some centers do offer drop in rates & part time hours. And ask about taking vacations. I know some centers offer 2 weeks during the year at half price.

Incase you aren't sure about drop in rates- this is the rate it would cost for you to drop off your child for the day rather than pay full time rates. This benefits people like teachers who may want to drop their child off for a day during the week in the summer time. Or someone who is inbetween jobs & needs childcare for a day to go on interviews. The thing about drop in rates though is you have to call ahead & ask if there is room. Let's say your child is 4 years old. In my state the child to teacher ratio for this age group is 14:1 (meaning 1 teacher can take care of 14 4yos by his or her self). If that class is already full (already has 14 kids) & you want to be a drop in then you would need to call to see if there is room for your child. Maybe another child is out ill? Or there is a chance classes can be combine & there be 2 teachers in the room with say 4 & 5 year old (the ratio is the same for both classes in my state)? If there is a spot for your child then you would be charged the drop in rate for that day only. If there is not room then you would not be charged.

As for holidays- we still get paid for them (at least the federal ones) even though we aren't working. That money has to come from somewhere right?

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I do hope it sheds some light onto it for you!

Kris_PBG
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM
No - it is fair.

They have staff that need to have and work set hours - it pays for the spot, not the care.

I have paid days off - so should daycare workers, which is why we pay holidays.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)