Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Appliances

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

I need to upgrade/replace my fridge and my microwave and venthood.

Currently, I have a standard freezer on top fridge on bottom combo, a countertop micro and an old venthood. 

I want a new fridge, prefer stainless steel, and am considering the french door, freezer on bottom type.  Any pros/cons?

I also want to replace the venthood with the microwave that does the venting as well.  Clear up counter space and replace 2 appliances at the same time. 

Any suggestions/bad experiences?

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM

We just have a side by side refrigerator, so I don't have experience with the type you are talking about. From a physics perspective, it seems like it will be more efficient to have it on the bottom since cold air settles and warm air rises.  My only qualification for a reridgerator is that is has water/ice in the door. And it keeps my food cold :) Oh yeah, and little hand prints show up really well on stainless, so if your a stickler for clean, you will be washing it often.

We have a microwave over the oven. No real con's other than it has never worked right since we bought the house, so we have one on the counter we use anyway. We need to get it replaced, but since we have a working microwave, why waste the money.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My biggie is that I want no ice maker or water.  I don't want any water attached to the fridge.  When I did property management, I saw so many mold issues caused by those little lines.  I will never have one attached.  I don't mind little handprints, and the only time she is in the kitchen is if I am there, anyway.  She isn't allowed to play in there. 

Quoting Nighttiger:

We just have a side by side refrigerator, so I don't have experience with the type you are talking about. From a physics perspective, it seems like it will be more efficient to have it on the bottom since cold air settles and warm air rises.  My only qualification for a reridgerator is that is has water/ice in the door. And it keeps my food cold :) Oh yeah, and little hand prints show up really well on stainless, so if your a stickler for clean, you will be washing it often.

We have a microwave over the oven. No real con's other than it has never worked right since we bought the house, so we have one on the counter we use anyway. We need to get it replaced, but since we have a working microwave, why waste the money.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I love our French door with bottom freezer. Works great for our family. We have been shopping around, and in a year or so, I will get that style again. We do not get ice or water either, but it is almost hard to find fridges without them these days.

I have little to offer except, DO NOT buy anything LG brand. I need a new fridge after only 9 years, buying top of the line $2000 fridge from them. Also had troubles with their washer and dryer. Acquaintances of repairmen, state that is common for that brand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Almost all our appliances are LG.  The fridge works great, just need a new style.  The current one will become a backup in the garage.  The micro works great, we just need to clear up counters.  The dishwasher is good, but I don't like the setup in the drawers, so we will be replacing it.  Granted, they are all only 2 years old, but I have been happy so far. 

The fridges we are looking at are Samsung, GE, and LG. 

Did the drawer freezer ever become a hassle?

Quoting Marti123:

I love our French door with bottom freezer. Works great for our family. We have been shopping around, and in a year or so, I will get that style again. We do not get ice or water either, but it is almost hard to find fridges without them these days.

I have little to offer except, DO NOT buy anything LG brand. I need a new fridge after only 9 years, buying top of the line $2000 fridge from them. Also had troubles with their washer and dryer. Acquaintances of repairmen, state that is common for that brand.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

We have the french door fridge/freezer.  I love it and sometimes I hate it.  It's quite roomy, but I'm small so I can't always reach the very back of the top shelf or really see what's there and sometimes I feel that the freezer just isn't as big or as practical because the freezer is essentially one big drawer.  I am, however, thankful that DD cannot reach up to open the fridge because that little girl is sneaky and would start taking stuff out of our fridge to "play" with in her own little kitchen.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I loved mine, up until it started making horrible loud noises, had to replace a fan part, (still is very loud and obnoxious) the plastic on my drawers broke and I lost a shelf and all my produce drawers. Replacing is a holy nightmare. No way to just order online. My bottom freezer drawer inside drawer does not pull out anymore. And lastly, the French doors do not close easily, which makes them prone to flying back open, which is horrible if it happens and we do not realize it. Everything was great for the first eight years.

We used to be big LG fans, but: My LG computer monitor burned out after 3 years, a TV stopped working after 4 years. And I have had to make repairs on both my washer and dryer, they were only 7&8 years old at the time. LG is not dirt cheap; I expect more for my money.

Quoting deccaf:

Almost all our appliances are LG.  The fridge works great, just need a new style.  The current one will become a backup in the garage.  The micro works great, we just need to clear up counters.  The dishwasher is good, but I don't like the setup in the drawers, so we will be replacing it.  Granted, they are all only 2 years old, but I have been happy so far. 

The fridges we are looking at are Samsung, GE, and LG. 

Did the drawer freezer ever become a hassle?

Quoting Marti123:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Don't really have any experiences but I REALLY want a French door, freezer on bottom as well!  We have a side by side fridge/freezer and there just isn't enough room.

We do have a microwave over the range and the vent works pretty well.

NotUrKidsBestie
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM

we have a fridge that has that pull out bottom freezer drawer part. Its annoying. It hardly holds anything. It definitely takes tetris type skills to pack that drawer. The top part of the fridge is kinda nice with all the shelving and what not but definitely failing with the freezer drawer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)