Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Would you dress up? *UPDATE*

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

UPDATE: Problem solved. My manager (the GM) agrees that its not the most professional to have an extra long lunch along with a party with the SVP here. While it does show enjoyment of workplace, which is one of our core values, its his first visit to our factory and you only get one first impression. We are moving the party to the 30th. I've actually talked with two others and they were not planning on dressing up either if the SVP was here. Having the party a day early will make it more relaxing and fun for everyone! YAY

OK, so I've been on the social committee for 2 years. Last year I just participated and this year I'm leading it. 

We had a Halloween party last year. Little did we know Corporate was showing up to interview people about the terrible, horrible sales manager we had looking to maybe let him go. Of course, I was one of the more vocal about how bad he was, so I had to be interviewed as soon as I walked in the door that day. Luckily, I had not put on my costume yet. Corporate was around all day and our Halloween party was pretty dead. I did end up putting on my costume (50's sock hop girl) but I felt weird wearing it. Our sales manager was fired at the end of the day. 

So, this year we are planning another Halloween party. I was planning to find a good pirate costume to wear and make it WAY better than last year. Today it was announced that our Senior VP of the company (higher than even last year) wants a plant tour....on Halloween. Freaking really!?? At least I have warning this year! We took an impromptu survey and most of our warehouse won't dress up anyway but still want the party that day. I REALLY want to dress up, but I see this as a great chance to make a good impression again. I'm already known by the CEO by name (I was sent to a leadership conference last year where I met him), and I want to make a good impression. BUT, I also want to support the social committee and have fun. 

What would you do? Most want the party because the won't dress up anyway. I want to dress up, but I don't want to look unprofessional. I don't want to look like a dud either :(

by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM
That's a tough one. Could you dress up without getting all crazy so you're still somewhat "appropriate"? I know that's kind of boring. Just throwing ideas out. Haha..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM
I would have the party but not dress up.

Or email the SVP and invite him to dress up for the party, LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Many companies encourage the "party" atmosphere, especially on holidays.  It promotes team work and a healthy work/life balance.  If you know someone in management, see what their thoughts are.  Maybe if the Senior VP knows in advance that you will have a party, he would be willing to join in.  I know our President will dress up, as do most of teh executives.  Since I work at the corporate office, I know how goofy these guys can be sometimes.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Thats what I'm wondering. The VP of HR was here last year and seemed to enjoy it. Is it just coincidence that the SVP of Finance chose that day to come again?!? Or did they really like that we had a party and shared that in management. I think I still have to buy a costume and get a plan in place just in case :)

Quoting deccaf:

Many companies encourage the "party" atmosphere, especially on holidays.  It promotes team work and a healthy work/life balance.  If you know someone in management, see what their thoughts are.  Maybe if the Senior VP knows in advance that you will have a party, he would be willing to join in.  I know our President will dress up, as do most of teh executives.  Since I work at the corporate office, I know how goofy these guys can be sometimes.

rebekahmuse
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

If it were me, I would dress up regardless. It is being active in a company event, even if it is a social event. I found when I worked in corporate, I could still be fun and goofy without being looked at as unprofessional. I think people find that uplifting which is not a bad thing. It shows you're enthusiastic and that's never a bad thing. At my old compnay at Halloween we had a lot of upper level management dress up.

christyg
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I think I would still dress up, but in a costume that didnt require any makeup or hair changes. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Glad you found a solution. I think it's great that you guys do things to keep moral up. The only job I ever had that did that was Mcdonalds, the owner was amazing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)