Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Surgery and the holidays

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM
  • 16 Replies
Has anyone had surgery done during the holidays? I went to the doctor today for my knee. I injuries it almost 10 years ago and re-injuried it recently. I messed up my MCL and possibly tore my meniscus, I'm having an MRI done next week to know for sure. Depending the results of that I'm looking at surgery as with it being the holidays we are put on a limited vacation time. My question is has anyone had surgery during the holidays and the boss not be upset?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Holidays would be one of the better times to take time off in my business.

TS9509
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I work in an outpatient physical therapy office so we really don't have a better time to take off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I gave birth over Christmas in 09 :) So I was out for half of December and most of January. Those are our busy months, but my job is somewhat flexible in when I get work done, so it wasn't a big deal.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Quoting deccaf:

Holidays would be one of the better times to take time off in my business.

same here. but when it comes to surgery, you need to make sure that you take care of you and hopefully your company would understand that.

rtenboer
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I had a hysterectomy on Dec 22 last year. I was really sore but I was still able to enjoy my kiddos opening their gifts.
annasmom1234
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I have had some surgery done during the holidays (nasal/sinus), and it was ok because I had vacation time built up to accomodate.  My dh had the meniscus surgery done several years ago and he got along famously.  At the time, he owned his own business (stood all day-hence the knee problems), and if I remember correctly, he just took his surgery date (Friday) and the weekend, and was back at work by Monday.  I hope everything goes ok for you!

TS9509
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM
That's what I really hope to do, have the surgery done on Friday and praying I can be back at work on Monday.

Quoting annasmom1234:

I have had some surgery done during the holidays (nasal/sinus), and it was ok because I had vacation time built up to accomodate.  My dh had the meniscus surgery done several years ago and he got along famously.  At the time, he owned his own business (stood all day-hence the knee problems), and if I remember correctly, he just took his surgery date (Friday) and the weekend, and was back at work by Monday.  I hope everything goes ok for you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I had double foot surgery in 2009. Couldn't walk for over a week and had to wear boots and then tennis shoes for months. It was pretty awful, but my company was fine with it and it was nice to have family around to help me while I recovered.

strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM

My mom has had a few surgeries and one was very close to the holidays some years ago...my aunt just recently had a surgery....I personallyhavent hadto have one... the only surgery I had was c section in 09...and no where near the holidays...but I at least wanted to respond to your post:)

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I gave birth halfway through peak Christmas season at my current employer.  Totally unexpected, a month early, went to an appt and got admitted to the hospital.  And it was a month after I got hired.  They were easy about it though- medical issues they can't say too much to you about missing, they can express concern about attendance etc, but that is about it.  The attendance desk we check in at actually didn't pass the message on to my supervisor, who called me the next morning when I didn't clock in or call in.....the silence when I told her I had had a baby the night before hadn't the message been passed on was priceless.  Do you have FMLA time?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN