Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Co worker issue.

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

There is a woman at work I really like as a person, problem is she is a horrible worker.  Today I spent a great deal of my time cleaning up her messes and then checking her work to make sure there were not more glaring errors.  So frustrating.  I go and talk to her about her work issues on an almost daily basis, I gently suggest better ways she can organize herself and be more efficient. I point out errors (not every single one) and ensure she does know how to do the work.  She's scatterbrained, starts one thing, then gets distracted and the end result is a bunch of work done wrong, half done and  paperwork missing.  Sigh. I feel like such a bad guy today because I took one of her mistakes to my boss.  I just was so beyond tired of constantly cleaning up her messes. She obviously needs more supersvision and direction to get through the day.

I hate the fact that she's been getting upset with me.  I like her and think she's a very nice person but I need to get my job done efficiently and can't be the clean up crew forever.

How do you handle situations like this?

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM

that's a tough situation. I don't see it as you being the bad guy, business is business. You can't keep taking on her work on top of your own, and if she's struggling to get her duties done, then something else needs to be figured out.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM
OMG, do you work in my office?

We have a person in a very similar situation. Finally we just stopped fixing it. It made things a bit harder, but people finally figured out what the problem was. Now she still works for us, so what does that tell you...but at least now she is given tasks she can handle so the rest of us aren't frustrated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM
I deal with a similiar situation. Errors make my job harder so I need to catch them quickly so they do not explode. Although I don't particularly care for the person but I do feel like the bad guy and I also feel that tension every time I have to tell her something. And it just gets worse as the day goes on. I hope you get more answers so I can read them as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM

First, this is why your manager should be making more money than you, lol. Let him/her deal with this, if you have exhausted all coaching possibilities.

Second, does she have any friends in the office, that can suggest she go get evaluated for adult ADHD? Medications could help her.

KLynneH
by Krystal on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I have a very similar situation myself going on that it sounds almost exactly what i have been going through for over a year...best I can say is....Let her make her mistakes, don't take the time to fix them, she needs to be held accountable for the work she does or does not do. If she can't do the job then she is not suitable for the position and the only way the bosses are going to find out is to see the mistakes first hand. Don't point it out for them let them find it out on there own, unless a specific mistake affects your work. It will be the supervisor job to make sure the staff member gets the proper training, coaching, counseling, they need in order to improve or be dismissed. All you will do if you keep fixing her errors is stress yourself out and make yourself sick...it's not worth it...trust me. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I have someone who makes a ton of errors.  Her work feeds into my work, and I have to catch all of them.  Drives me nuts!

Jennybenny01
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Yes the Supervisor needs to be stepping in now. It sounds like you have done a great job coaching her up until this point and trying to get her to prioritize her job tasks. Management needs to step in now and do a worksheet on her or whatever you have at your work. They need to tell her what job tasks to prioritize, do check off lists and sheets and monthly follow ups. If this doesn't improve and she can't prioritize job tasks they can move down the disciplinary action line. I had an employee with this problem and did a development worksheet on him. This is what I said: "(Name) does not properly prioritize tasks, as (enter your top things) doesn't always get done first. (Name) needs improvement to independently anticipate and prioritize job tasks. (Name) should place job tasks in order of importance and then stay on task. He should be communicating and collaborating with his colleagues on which tasks are of priority and further communicate when these tasks are being carried out." The Supervisor needs to do follow ups and if there is still not improvements they should go down the disciplanary line.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I hate when people I like suck at their job...especially when I end up cleaning up their messes.  You did the right thing taking it to the supervisor.  They get paid the big bucks to be the bad guy.

kikibix
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I think a huge part of my frustration at my job is the lack of supervision and management.  A lot of people do fine without one and can work independently but some people require almost micromanaging.  At my work we have "managers" but they are not hands on, hide in their offices for the most part and let the workers sort out their own issues - which of course leads to frustration for everyone, but that's another future post I think.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I think you should stop fixing her mistakes. Your boss may not do anything until he realizes just how many mistakes are being made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)