Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you throw a fit?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
  • 12 Replies
So my co-worker, baby-boomer age, told me when her IPhone broke, she went Apple and caused a HUGE angry scene, including cursing until they gave her a brand new phone. Her phone was out of warranty time frame as well. I told her, "ugh, I can't really do that." It's just not my style. Things break, it sucks, I hope they give me a discount and such, but I will not be mean to the Apple worker and throw a fit. She told me, "grow a pair."

Which side of this do you stand on, oh, my phone is 16 months old. Daily repeated use, now will not charge.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
givenshl
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this

If the warranty is over than I don't expect them to give me anything for free. I will pay for what I want. I refuse to act like an ass to anyone who is just doing their job. I also fault the Apple Representative, they need to stand their ground when it comes to expired warranties because if they give in to one customer than they should give in to all customers. When she started causing a scene they should have had her removed from the store.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I think it's rude when people start doing things like that. I've gotten an attitude before but not to where I was disrupting the entire store and it's usually because the employee was being completely rude and ignoring what I was telling them.

I have a friend that did the same thing when the screen on his iPhone broke. He told me before he went to the store that the warranty was out and he didn't have the insurance on it. That's just craziness to me.

jryberg
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM

if the warrenty is out and you chose not to pay for the extended coverage you should not throw a fit. It is rude to the people working who are not the ones who made the deicion to not take the extra coverage.  I hate that phones seem to be "disposable" but with as much as we tend to use them it's no wonder the wear out quickly!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I would never treat anyone like that.

Now, I HAVE yelled when the company was in the wrong and refused to fix the issue - but I didn't curse.  Probably shouldn't have yelled either but it was after a long, drawn out issue and I had been patient up until then.

But in this case, she's out of warranty - suck it up and do the right thing.  No need to bully the employee.  Sheesh.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

No, I could not go into a store acting like an asshole

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Some people feel the world owes them free stuff.  I think she was wrong.  It's not the Apple store employee's fault that it broke.  She was out of line.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

No, I could not act like that nor treat anyone like that.

Her warranty was up.  She should not expect ANYONE to owe her anything.  I think she was wrong and out of line.  People that do that are cheats and they think it's funny that they get away with it.

mickstinator
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM

i think it's childish. i get why people do it, but i never want to be the person that gets undeserved stuff because someone just wanted to shut me up. it's tacky, rude, entitled, and ridiculous IMO. maybe a little harsh, but i wouldn't let my kids act like that. i sure wouldn't personally, either!

mickstinator
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Quoting the3Rs:

I would never treat anyone like that.

Now, I HAVE yelled when the company was in the wrong and refused to fix the issue - but I didn't curse.  Probably shouldn't have yelled either but it was after a long, drawn out issue and I had been patient up until then.

But in this case, she's out of warranty - suck it up and do the right thing.  No need to bully the employee.  Sheesh.

i've thrown a (comparatively small) fit when a company wasn't working with me, too. even then, it takes a long time for me to get enough steam in me to actually do something about it. and as someone who works in customer service, i understand how little can be done sometimes.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Not on purpose. Actually, my FIL works for Verizon, and the bigger the fit, the less he helps you. If your super nice and try to cooperate, he says he'll give you whatever he can. 

On a side note, DH did put on a show once in Walmart. My work was giving out gifts that year and we all got a small gift and were entered in a raffle for a new TV. I ended up winning the TV but had no use for it, so I took the two gifts back to Walmart. I had gotten the receipt from HR (I told them I just wanted to take back the blanket). When I brought them back, I told them I wanted a gift card for that amount so I could buy stuff we need. She handed me a gift card and we left. I went to use it a week later and it was empty. So we went back to Walmart and they were less than helpful. We ended up having to speak with a manager that then reviewed the security tape to make sure we left with a gift card. Apparently they had accidentally put it back on my works CC and told me to go deal with it with my work. DH made a great scene of a very angry customer and they ended up getting us our owed gift card...2 hours later. This was their mistake and they tried to tell me to get the money from my work. DH wasn't as pissed as he pretended to be, but he did GREAT at it and they would not have done that had he not played that role (we were very nice for the first hour).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)