Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Please Please Please

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

My dad is an alcoholic. He and my mother divorced last year, so all he has to take care of now is himself. He's had a rough...well, decade career-wise, but recovered when he found his current job about a year and a half ago. I'm always worrying for him. I don't know how much I can trust him and it kills me when he's in a rough time. 

Well, he told me on Saturday that he was on probation at work for messing up something fairly important that involved one of the CEO's. Then, he told me yesterday that they're doing lay-offs today. I'm so anxious I can barely think about it. He was in a terrible place before he go this job. It will quickly go downhill if he loses it. 

I wish he could be responsible and handle his one responsibility - his job. Is that too much to ask? : (

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM

hugs! I grew up in an alcoholic home and it is hard. Fingers crossed that he doesn't lose his job.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM

For an alcoholic, yes, it is a lot to ask.  Not being mean.  My biological dad is one, too.  I wish him luck on his job.  Will he have to move in with you if he loses his job?  If so, I wish you the best of luck.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I don't have any first-hand experience, but my husband comes from a family of alcoholics (both sides) and I see how hard it is sometimes.  I wish him luch with his job and hope that it works out.

mickstinator
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Quoting deccaf:

For an alcoholic, yes, it is a lot to ask.  Not being mean.  My biological dad is one, too.  I wish him luck on his job.  Will he have to move in with you if he loses his job?  If so, I wish you the best of luck.

I have gone back and forth my entire life pitying him and resenting him. He's just lost to the alcohol now. It's worse than ever before. I've had fears of him falling drunk into his pool. I hate the way his daughter is forced to think of her father in these terms and I wish I could help him overcome all the pain and regret he's been spending years trying to drink away. 

I am very afraid that he'll lose his house if he loses his job. Last time he was jobless, he spent most of his retirement just to live on. I don't think he has anything to fall back on at all.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Sending good thoughts.  Keep us updated.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I hope everything goes smooth for him this week!

MansfieldMama
by Angela on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I hope things go alright for your dad, Michaela.  My father was an alcoholic, as well, and it was rough being his daughter.  I loved him so much, but it was so hard to watch him destroy himself.  I'll be thinking of you and your dad this week.  ((hugs))

mickstinator
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Thanks, Ladies. It's so nice to have people who can relate to and support me. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I am so sorry, that is such a tough role to be, I could not imagine. Addictions leave a large destruction pattern to many people involved in that persons' life. *hugs*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM
!!

Quoting Nighttiger:

I hope everything goes smooth for him this week!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)