Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Your opinion?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 AM
  • 26 Replies
My 8th grade son missed 1 day of school. On that day they began watching a movie. There was a list of questions required to complete based on THAT day's viewing.

My son talked with the teacher asking how to make that up as he's never seen the movie. The teacher refused to let my son view the movie at school (lunch, study hall, after school, whatever) & told him he'll just have to youtube it at home.

What is your opinion on that?

I feel that he had no right to assume we even had decent enough internet to do that, (live in a tiny town with ONE internet option besides dial up...most have only dial up) plus since it was an in school thing, he should provide an opportunity for my son to make it up IN school. Plus, my son has a lot of homework that often takes all evening and we are a busy family. We rarely watch TV during the week yet now I'm supposed to find this movie & find time for him to sit & watch it??

Your thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flutter523
by Tracy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Sounds like the teacher is being unreasonable. If your son is offering times in his day to make it up, the teacher should allow that. I'd email the teacher and explain your view point.
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I think the teacher should allow him to watch it at school on his own time. I'm curious to know the reasons not to though.
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I always thought if the kid missed a day of school, the teacher was supposed to help fill them in on what they missed, such as with math lessons. I would think this should follow that same path. Why did the teacher refuse to let him watch it at school? Sounds like your son was willing to give up his lunch times or other "breaks" during the day or even stay after school to do it.

I would talk to the teacher directly and if I still wasn't satisfied, I would talk to the principal.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I think the teacher should let him watch it at school if it's on his own time. I don't understand why he isn't agreeing to that.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The teacher should allow the child to view the movie on his own time in school.  However, if the teacher is not going to do this, is this a movie you could rent if your internet connection isn't good enough?

Holland04
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM

That teacher is being completely ridiculous. I'd talk to the teacher or go to the principal if that doesn't work. 

mickstinator
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

If it was an excused absense, I think that's ridiculous. Even if it wasn't excused, it's still harsh. I don't see why he couldn't provide an opportunity during one of those many chances that would have zero effect on classroom time. 

jerzeetomato
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I think the teacher is being unreasonable.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I could try - but I don't think I should have to pay to rent a movie that is required for his class that everyone else watched in class.

Quoting deccaf:

The teacher should allow the child to view the movie on his own time in school.  However, if the teacher is not going to do this, is this a movie you could rent if your internet connection isn't good enough?

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I am not a large fan of the teacher's policy. I wonder if he does not have easy access to the movie any more.

Does the teacher realize your son took a "free day" or mental health day? I was raised by a middle school teacher of 35 years and my mother did NOT believe in missing school AT ALL, unless it was due to illness or death or scheduled way in advance. I guarentee, unless the student absolutely needed that content to meet class objectives, the student would not have been given the opportunity for make-up. My mother felt there were adequate breaks, early-outs, vacation, etc. and school should be a priority, and if you opted to take days off, that was fine, but "welcome to the real world", life goes on, and there are consequences for those choices just as you have in the real working world.

(Yea, in case you are wondering, my mom and have had a rough relationship at times,  LOL).

I'd encourage your eighth grader to discuss it more with his teacher. How many points is the assignment worth? What was the learning objective, etc? and figure out how much effort needs to be put into this assignment going forward.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN