Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Ever went back to college to further your career or to start a new one?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have my Bachelors degree and am just not happy with my job right now, because that is all it feels like, just a job versus a career.  I just feel like I could have done a lot more in life and this just isnt it for me.  My bills get paid with this one and I have job security, etc. but it just isnt it KWIM?

I keep thinking about going back to college to continue my education in my field of study but to advance my career, I just feel guilty sort of like I had my shot and now it is time for me to save for my kids college rather than spend more money on my own education.

What would you do?  It isnt like having a higher degree will gurantee that you will even get a job.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I say go for it if you want. We've been throwing around the idea of me going back to school, just so I have more under my belt. If people in their 40s can go back, I think I can at 25. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
andrea96
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I got my masters several years ago. Although, I haven't really used it to advance my career up to this point, but that's really on me. I don't regret it at all. Does your employer offer any reimbursement for college expenses? My employer pays 80% of tuition and fees and 50% of books, as long as the grade is at least a B.

ETA: I was 33 when I began my masters and 34 when I graduated.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I am in school now.  I will be 36 this month (!)  I am still working.  I think that you need to do what you want to do to make you happy.  Will your kids suffer if you go to school?  No.  If you don't save for college, they apply for grants, scholarships, etc.  Many parents can't afford to save and the kids figure out a way to pay for it themselves. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Go for it. I eventually want to pursue my MBA and most every company I've talked to will cover the expense. It also sets a good example for your kids to keep working for your dreams and never settle for something that is less than what you can do. Just because you have kids does not mean your life is over. You still have a good 60+ years to live, so you better be happy with how you live it!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I've seriously been thinking about it lately. I think you should do what makes you happy. Go for it :)

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I think it really depends on what you are going back for? What is your available budget? Can you get employer support? Have you looked at program options? There are so many variables, you just need to start really investigating.

What would I do? Well, I am going to "officially" start working on my doctorate next fall or 2014 depending on our tax bill, so my answer: I'd go back to school. I do not feel overly guilty about being dedicated to self-improvement and role-modeling hard work.

Although I teach graduate students, and I know many that really have NO business being in school. Students need 4 things, 1) TIME, 3 hours OUTSIDE OF CLASS at a minimum for every credit hour, 2) Your health, meaning no chronic diseases which are out of control or major mental health problems 3) Your family support, meaning that your SO and children are somewhat independent and supportive of your decision for the . 4) Money, without that your mental well-being and health can go downhill pretty quickly.

Good luck with your decision.

christyg
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I am getting ready to go back in the new year, and I am 42 years old! I dont think there is ever an age where you are "too old". I currently run a daycare from my home, and it hit me this past summer, that I will be working for another 20 years! ~ I refuse to have kids in my home for the next two decades, so I need to do something about it and get some education sooner rather than later!!!

christaberk
by Christa on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM
I would go ahead and do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM
I say do it. If I knew what field I'd like to switch to I would 100% go back to school. I already have my masters and can't spend the money if I'm not positive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliKatCam
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Going back in September.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)