Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much would it take?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 17 Replies

Let's say you were interviewing for a new position with a different company.  Same title - new place.

Assuming you're a good fit with the role, the team, the culture, etc. and they make you an offer, how much would it take for you to say yes?

Same salary?

Higher salary?  (If so - how much higher)

Same salary but better benefits?

Other?

When I changed careers from teaching to the corporate world, my salary was significantly higher - but the benefits were a bit lower, and of course my time off was a lot less as I wouldn't have summers off :)  But, being allowed to work virtually and getting paid more money made the 'negatives' worth it - and it's worked very well for me.

So...how about you?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Right now, teh downfalls to my job are the commute and my lack of interest. Big issues. Both things I'd love to change in a given situation. 

If I were going to get a new job doing the same thing, I'd need a higher salary and probably a shorter commute. 

As long as everything else was on the same relative page, that's what it'd take!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It would take a LOT more money.  My company pays for my college (no small amount), have a very family frinedly attitude and is generally a great place to work.  It would have to nearly double what I make to make it worth it to me.

strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I would seek something a little higher or match my last salary if I knew there was room to move up...and if I could see myself sticking iwth it for a while...the benefits I could live with if it were not as rich but not terrible or equal to what I had before.....but my ultimate decision would be the room to move up.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Depends on where I'm moving from and to. One of my better bosses told me once there are 3 important aspects to any job: the job itself and its opportunities, the people you work with and the pay. If you have 2/3 of those, you will be happy. Right now, I have 0./3 which is why I'm looking to move. I currently make 64k base with an 11k bonus. The job I am moving to offered me 80k base with no set bonus. I actually counter at 85k a year and they came back with a 5k signing bonus. Their benefits are less and I will lose a little vacation my first year, but I'm going from a 30 person division where the only way I can move up is move away, to a 500 person division with HUGE opportunities to grow. And, I'm back working with friends and a boss that sought me out to work with him because he's worked with me before and respects me. It was an easy choice when it came down. For a different opportunity, my requirements would be different depending on which out of the 3 above it offered.

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Congrats!!

Quoting Nighttiger:

Depends on where I'm moving from and to. One of my better bosses told me once there are 3 important aspects to any job: the job itself and its opportunities, the people you work with and the pay. If you have 2/3 of those, you will be happy. Right now, I have 0./3 which is why I'm looking to move. I currently make 64k base with an 11k bonus. The job I am moving to offered me 80k base with no set bonus. I actually counter at 85k a year and they came back with a 5k signing bonus. Their benefits are less and I will lose a little vacation my first year, but I'm going from a 30 person division where the only way I can move up is move away, to a 500 person division with HUGE opportunities to grow. And, I'm back working with friends and a boss that sought me out to work with him because he's worked with me before and respects me. It was an easy choice when it came down. For a different opportunity, my requirements would be different depending on which out of the 3 above it offered.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Thanks. I've got everything done, I'm just waiting on security clearance so I can get my start date and quit. :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Congrats!!

Quoting Nighttiger:

Bubbie0809
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I can't imagine what it would take to lure me away. I work at home, I have flex hours all sorts of perks. I can't think of any feasible perks that would get me to leave what i have.

flutter523
by Tracy on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I leave in a heartbeat for the same salary and benefits. I despise my job (live my coworkers though) so it wouldnt take much to get me to leave.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM
It would have to be a higher salary and it would have to either offer health insurance and 401k OR enough of a salary increase to cover the cost of adding the kids and I to DH's policy at work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I would have to make more money. AT LEAST one dollar more. Preferably two. They would have to be as lenient as where I work now with time off. That's all I can think of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)