Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a vent no one has to read! MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 16 Replies
Yes I know working in a grocery store you don't always get holidays off... In the last 3 yrs I have worked every 4th of July, every Easter, every Christmas eve, every thanksgiving (till this year and I even offered to work it), every memorial day, every Halloween night. The list goes on including every weekend and birthday.
So flash to two months ago I told my boss, "I will work thanksgiving day, new years eve night and new years day so that I can please have christmas eve day off cause my kids go to their dad's that night at 8pm for two weeks." now this morning I go to check the schedule and he has me working! And the one person he has off DOESNT HAVE KIDS! I have been crying all morning when my bf finds out he's gonna be pissed. His family has taken us in and wants us at their celebration but now I have to miss it. I have to miss my kids waking up and seeing the tree with presents under it( cause besides tomorrow I work at 7am all weekend.) I will miss being with people that live us all cause some kid is my bosses pet. I'm so pissed off my chest hurts. I don't even want to look at my boss or this kid the next few days. I just can't believe it. Now if one of the other people with more seniority and kids had asked and gotten it I would not be so pissed. Of if all of us were scheduled I'd be okay, just ask to come in really early so I could make the noon celebration. How can a company say they are family oriented do this crap to a single working mom that does what ever is asked of her. I'm usually pretty strong but my co workers have see me cry. And tonight my bf will finally see me cry cause I really don't see me able to talk to anyone with out the tears flowing.

****** so I reserved a text from a co worker about 15 minutes ago and she informed me I have Monday off. I haven't talked to anyone since yesterday morning about it. So I might have over reacted but it's what I fight for the most is time with my girls. Bf pointed out I do get time with them and I do make that time extra special. But holiday time is important too. As a single full time working mom I like to think I lead two lives one as a mom and one as a worker. But when one gets in the way of the more important one it kills me. So I have desided even though I have the power to check the schedule a day early I am not going to anymore. I will simply ask for days off and then deal with it on Fridays. Thank you all for the support and ideas. I'll update again after I get to work and see for myself.
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I know a lot of places go by who asks first.  Is it possible he asked before you?  If not, I would ask what the policy is as far as requesting days off and how you can be assured that you get what you need.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Oh no - I am so sorry! Is there any way you can trade a day with the person who is off? Or could they just cover for you so you could be off? Some co-workers are friendly like that and some aren't. I wish you didn't have to go through that. :(

And Decca has a great idea about asking what you need to do to be assured of getting time off that you ask for.

KLynneH
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

im sorryhugs

Megan11587
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Aw.. will the person that has off switch with you?

harrington_ou
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM
More then likely he won't switch... And he knew I wanted that day and never said he wanted it. He's not a friendly coworker. Bf wants me to quit this might push him over the edge to push me harder to quit.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I am so sorry! It is very frustrating to have to work holidays for sure. It just does not sound right!

I agree there should be a policy, for sure, not a random pot luck. I was in floor nursing for years, meaning holidays were a must, but we knew exactly who worked major & minor holidays & how many years in a row. Once you call down, you need to address what the policy is, as pp suggested.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM
That stinks. Is there any chance your boss forgot? Mines always forgetting things. Maybe you could ask him to reconsider the schedule.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I would remind my boss that I had requested that day.

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Yup! Can't hurt!

Quoting leahbeah143:

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  I would have gone straight to him as soon as it was posted.

Quoting the3Rs:

Yup! Can't hurt!

Quoting leahbeah143:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)