Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 year plans...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 10 Replies

im a big fan of 5 year plans.  at this point in my life, i have managed to acheive all my goals in these plans.

i have one more year left and i will have completed everything... house, job, wedding, masters and new baby (due june 2013).  i started it with my job... so that it would coincide with my first five years in the school district.

i have unitl sept 2014 before i am done this five year plan... but im already thinking of that... if i stay in the district and pay scale stays the same i want to finish my next 30 credits (at least) and by the end of those 5 i think we will need more space... cant even think about a new house yet, but im hoping by 2019 to be able to... 

anyone else do 5 year (or similar) plans??? are you usually successful?

pregnancy due date

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I am a big goal setter. I plan somewhere in that range, I have several big things in the next 5-10 year range. I will have my doctorate by then. My basement will be finished by then. I will buy two new honda vehicles and have them paid off by then. I have several 1-4 year goals as well.

Professionally I usually achieve my goals, however I NEVER planned children into any of my goals, and that inadvertently detoured my original plan about 5 years ago, but it's still a fun trip.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohmandy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

i credit the goals for sucess.  ds was NOT planned, so the real big planning started once i really could.  i guess it started at the end of college and with the chaos of the pregnancy lol.  this is the only way my orgnaized virgo comes out haha

Quoting Marti123:

I am a big goal setter. I plan somewhere in that range, I have several big things in the next 5-10 year range. I will have my doctorate by then. My basement will be finished by then. I will buy two new honda vehicles and have them paid off by then. I have several 1-4 year goals as well.

Professionally I usually achieve my goals, however I NEVER planned children into any of my goals, and that inadvertently detoured my original plan about 5 years ago, but it's still a fun trip.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

DH and I always have running plans going. They scale from 6 months out to 10 years+. However, they are flexible and do change based on circumstances. For example, my current boss kept promising me promotions and raises at my current job. Our 5 year plan counted on my staying here for several more years and taking over a management role. After 2.5 years of promises with no action, and another company knocking at the door, my last day here is Friday. This alters our current 5 year plan slightly, but only for the better (more money, closer to home, more flexibility on hours and ability to work from home). Actually, since I quit, DH's mood has shot through the roof and suddenly he's knocking out target days in half an hour. He's also started a trading academy as of last week that was not in the 5 year plan, but definitely enhances it. We are huge planners and from what we've found, once we set a goal, we tend to knock it out faster than the plan called for, which requires a new plan :)

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't even have time to think about it right now.  Maybe in 5 years?

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

We don't really have a 5 year plan. We usually do between 6 months to a year and it's constantly changing so we just go with the flow for the most part. I hope that it'll work out better now that dh has this job.

mickstinator
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

We always set goals, but we have kept it moving as time passes. I'm not exactly sure what all was on my list 5 years ago, but that's mostly because I achieved it much faster than I originally anticipated. 

5 years ago, my goals were: marriage (and the financial stability necessary), second child, at least one degree between the two of us (husband and me), and a house. We achieved all but the degree. That is, however, a work in progress. 

My 5 year goals from now are: 2 bachelor degrees (between my husband and me), little to no college loans to pay, a stable job in his career choice for my husband, and major headway on college funds for both boys. In 5 years, I'd like to have at least 20k in each account. We'll see how that goes. 

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I honestly don't lay out goals in that way.  I have a sense of where I want to be and what I want to do - both professionally and personally - and so far so good.  But, I'm not that detailed or formal about it.

lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I don't do that, but I do think of the future. Between now and the end of the school year 2016 I plan to have my doctorate's finished and be teaching online courses at universities, enough to sustain me. Also between now and then (that's when youngest DD graduates high school) I'd like to get a small RV and renovate it. I plan to travel. A lot.

Amy127
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I set more immediate goals, like all within a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

This

Quoting the3Rs:

I honestly don't lay out goals in that way.  I have a sense of where I want to be and what I want to do - both professionally and personally - and so far so good.  But, I'm not that detailed or formal about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)