Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Armed Guards

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you want armed guards added to EVERY school just in case? If no, would you send your kid to a "safe" school with an armed guard? If yes, would you send your kid to a "safe" school that didn't have one?

Options:

Yes, armed guards in every school no matter the location

No, only armed guards where the crime rate in the area might require it

Other??

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

Ok, so let me start by saying this is not to start a gun control debate. This is more to get a general feel of how you ladies feel about armed guards in schools. The NRA has recently come out saying there should be armed guards in schools and I've been seeing posts floating around FB about it. It seems those that are most for it are actually parents with adult children or those with no children. I'm curious if that is a true measure of how moms really feel.

Note: By "safe" school I mean one with low to no crime and in an area known for its relative safety of its citizens. There are areas that already have metal detectors and armed guards because they are not in "safe" areas.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM

In my opinion, I don't think we should be putting guns (even for defensive purposes) in places where we don't want guns (like schools).  But, I am also not a fan of guns, as they make me very uncomfortable. 

mickstinator
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I would much rather schools have metal detectors than armed guards.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I voted other, I have no strong feelings either way in this debate. I could send my DSs to school in either environment and feel ok with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I don't think we should have anyone with guns in the schools.  Not security guards, not policemen (unless they're just visiting), not armed guards and not teachers.

IF my school did this (they won't) I would still send my kids, but I wouldn't like it.

flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I don't think guns should be in schools at all. I work in a school and I don't think thatd make me feel safe. I'd be to afraid that someone coul overpower the armed guard and take the gun. We're trying to teach kids schools are a gun free space so why would we purposely bring them in?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN