Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What is your take on this!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:22 AM
  • 21 Replies
A friend of mine applied for a new job. It's in his field & he's more than qualified.

Over the past month he's had 4 phone interviews & went onsite (different state - had to take off of his current job) and had 4 more face-to-face interviews in one day.

He's been told they all went great BUT they said he might hear in a week & they *may* make him interview with one other person. That would make NINE interviews.

This is not a senior level position & it's a small company.

He's ready to throw in the towel - thinks they're stringing him along, maybe offered to someone else & are keeping him on the line until they hear from the other person.

I think they're just ridiculously thorough - though their indecisiveness could be a red flag.

Anyway, I told hm I'd ask you ladies what you thought. All opinions welcome. Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christaberk
by Christa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM
it could just be they work closely as a team, and they need to make sure he's going to fit in every aspect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

that does seem a bit excessive, but every company has it's own way of doing things. Hopefully they can get a decision made and let him know!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

If it's a good opportunity, I would tell him to hang in there.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
This. I really hope they aren't just stringing him along. :(

Quoting leahbeah143:

that does seem a bit excessive, but every company has it's own way of doing things. Hopefully they can get a decision made and let him know!

KTU
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

It is possible that the position he is applying for requires lots of training (even if he is qualified for it) to get to know the company, co-workers, position, etc. If they have seen high turnover in that position after spending hours on training, then they may be a bit more cautious this time around. I think he needs to wait it out and see. It would be sad if he gave up and they wanted him for the position. Besides, all these interviews are only making him a better interviewer (practice makes perfect), right!?

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

That's really odd.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM

That DOES seem a bit excessive.  I have always found though that smaller companies seem to make you jump through more hoops than larger ones.  I hope they aren't stringing him along because if it's a good job that he thinks he'd enjoy, I'd tell him to hang in there.

PeaceLoveZ
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM

It would seem to me that they weren't very organized. I'm with you, I see red flags.

flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Maybe they're testing his dedication to the position?
In teaching, we go through at least 5 interviews here before being offered a spot.
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Wow. When I was a Teacher (worked in 4 different school districts) we only had 1 or 2.

In my company I had 3.

Quoting flutter523:

Maybe they're testing his dedication to the position?

In teaching, we go through at least 5 interviews here before being offered a spot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN