Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What corners do you cut to save money?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM
We cut dish a long time ago - so only 'over the air' TV, & $17 per month on netflix & huluplus.

We have dedicated accounts for everything (one for household savings, one for Christmas/birthdays, one for kid activities, one for gas & groceries, one for fixed bills, etc.) which isn't cutting corners but lends a great deal of visibility into what we have & where it's going - & we don't borrow from other accounts. If it's gone, it's gone.

My company pays my internet & cell so that helps.

We have a very well defined budget & rarely stray from it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I am going to try to cut back on the grocery bill, by paying attention a little more. We are starting to buy "whole" or "half" animals from farmers for the freezer for meat too.

We drove old, beat up cars, paid off, for a many years. it was embarrassing at times in fact. But definitely saved money for those many years.

I also switched to a private self-employed cleaning lady, cheaper than a national company.

Kara242
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I only buy name brand stuff when its on sale. I grocery shop at aldi and only shop once a week.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

For us right now, we have pared things down to utilities, van payment, insurance, phone, and cable tv/internet- the tv would be the first to go if we needed to cut something.  We do no eat out more than once a month- because the girls are young and dh is on disability we get fs and wic still- that helps us be able to pay our bills on my small income.  Our budget is tight, and we track it constantly, and there really is not much room for "fun" spending.  If we pay one thing off (van is coming up yay) we move that money to another needed bill- my student loans are deferred for now but I want to start chipping away the principle once we pay off the van.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Shop sales and use coupons
No cable
Have a beat up car that's paid off
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM

this. Except we do have basic cable so DH can keep up with Gold Rush on Discovery channel. Its only about $17 a month and he would not be happy without it. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Shop sales and use coupons
No cable
Have a beat up car that's paid off

christaberk
by Christa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM
we don't use the heatin the winter. we live in Florida, so we don't really need it.

I limit the amount of snacks and such that Ibuy from the store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN