Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Anyone a Unit Secretary for a Hospital?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

I found an opening here at one of the hospitals and I actually meet the criteria. It looks like 12 hr shifts of 7a-7p with chance of rotation. I have always worked Mon-Fri 8-5...now I am working 830-530. Anyways has anyone ever worked hours like that? Do you like it? Also...if you don't mind me asking is the pay decent as a Unit Secretary? I looked up the salary for my area for one and it says $47000 which would be awesome but it almost seems high...I don't know though.

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I make $11.61 an hour and work 2 floors in the hospitals psych building. I work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday. The nurses who work 12 hour shifts like it because they get more days off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Hhmm....See I am working 8hr days Mon-Fri..so I am thinking I will like the 12 hr days and get more time with my family.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I make $11.61 an hour and work 2 floors in the hospitals psych building. I work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday. The nurses who work 12 hour shifts like it because they get more days off.

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM
That's why a lot of the nurses like it.

Quoting raegan1221:

Hhmm....See I am working 8hr days Mon-Fri..so I am thinking I will like the 12 hr days and get more time with my family.

Quoting cjsmom1:

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

This sounds like a silly question lol. Where I worked before we got to wear scrubs..just not where I'm at now. Do you get to wear scrubs as a Unit Secretary? I'd assume to distinguish from the nurses so that patients dont think you're a nurse.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I used to be a nurse in several hospital and now I work in one as an NP.

Most wore/wear business casual clothes. Some wore scrubs.

The unit secretaries that I know, told me they made anywhere from 8-13 dollars an hour. Most of them had to take classes on medical terminology. But I really have discussed it recently with anyone.

I used to work 12 hour shifts, pre-kids for 5 years. It's got pro's and con's. 4 days off a week is really really nice, but for 3 days a week, you do nothing but work, it is exhausting, you'd miss ballgames, dinner, etc.... Your house, family and relationships can suffer a bit on those days, but then you can play catch up ont he other days, so it works out. I worked nights and that is just a killer in itself, so days would probably be much better.. Over-time extra shifts can be a perk too. As you still have 2-3 days off even if you work extra, and usually there is always extra work for good employees in healthcare. 

Good luck!! I hope you get the job and love it!

christaberk
by Christa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:17 AM
I'm no help, but good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Everyone wears scrubs. The nurses id badges have red around them so you can see they're a nurse.

Quoting raegan1221:

This sounds like a silly question lol. Where I worked before we got to wear scrubs..just not where I'm at now. Do you get to wear scrubs as a Unit Secretary? I'd assume to distinguish from the nurses so that patients dont think you're a nurse.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN