Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Told the Babysitter to go home this morning

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
  • 22 Replies
We have 2 girls one in second grade and the one in preschool. Our babysitter has a lot of personal stag going on. This morning I could tell she wasn't in a good mood. My youngest starts to get upset about a broken toy, I give her a pep talk after we say our prayers. I say good bye to everyone and leave. A little voice told me to call the babysitter. I tell her hey I notice that you are in a bad mood this morning because of all the stuff going on in your family. Do you need to take today off? She replied no. Next, I suggested that she take a moment because the girls are not used to be being snapped at. She didn't respond to that well. I told her I was coming back and she could leave. I couldn't get my car turned around fast enough!
My husband is a police officer and he was in our bedroom. He heard how she was talking to the girls. We made the decision to let her go.

I am self employed and have my own office. It still sucks to lose a day of revenue but my girls' well being is more important that money! They are my world! I just had to vent because working moms always have these type of issues with childcare.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

sad that she couldn't get her act together for a couple hours while she's supposed to be watching your kids!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this in the morning.  It's hard to let go of someone but even harder to think that your kids are going to be mistreated in any way thanks to someone not being able to separate their personal life from their professional life.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I am so sorry! I hope you find a suitable replacement!
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

The first couple of childcares for our twins were not good but once we found the people that end up taking care of our kids for several years....they became like family.

I was very lucky with my oldest.  She had great daycare providers.  I think you used your mommy instinct and made the right decision.  Sometimes we have to go through a couple of them to find the right person.

christyg
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I just feel like I have to add .... not everyone has these types of issues with childcare. 

I'm glad that you trusted your instincts and had the ability to take the day with your kids. It kinda makes me wonder though, if you rushed too fast to let her go? It sounds like she was already having a really bad day, and I can't imagine its any better now that she lost her job. I would give her a little credit for showing up even though she obviously had a bad morning. She must have said some really awful things to your girls!!!!

untidyone
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to weigh in on this! It is such a big deal. Our babysitter was great but this is not the first time her tone and attitude has been not so great. My oldest daughter's orthodontist personally emailed me with concerns about how she talked to the girls in her office. I spoke with my husband about it and we decided to leave it alone because people do have off days. This was months ago. Today, my husband was about the go into the kitchen to find out what was going on, but I came home first.

I did have to trust my mommy instinct. I work in Children's church once a month and some kids can be a challenge. I have to smile and be sweet. Yes, it's only once a month but my point is when working with children you have to be even tempered. My kids are not used to be people snapping at them. My husband and I have a saying, "Don't make your problem, my problem." I am not saying I have never gotten upset with my girls, but when I do, I apologize and correct myself. I guess I was taken aback that she didn't want to take time to calm down and center herself. It was a signal that she just isn't a good fit for us. I would give her a good recommendation though because she probably will work out better with older children.

Quoting christyg:

I just feel like I have to add .... not everyone has these types of issues with childcare. 

I'm glad that you trusted your instincts and had the ability to take the day with your kids. It kinda makes me wonder though, if you rushed too fast to let her go? It sounds like she was already having a really bad day, and I can't imagine its any better now that she lost her job. I would give her a little credit for showing up even though she obviously had a bad morning. She must have said some really awful things to your girls!!!!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.  I mean, prior to this was she really good with the kids?  Dependable, reliable, even tempered, etc.?  We all have bad days, and as parents we've all lost patience with our kids, we're only human.  Granted, it's her job to separate personal and professional and maybe she should definitely have been sent home for the day - not sure about completely firing her though unless it was REALLY bad or an ongoing issue.  Just my 2 cents (which don't matter :)).

Quoting christyg:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah...I should have kept reading before responding.  Ignore my other response.  Sounds like you made the best choice.  Good luck finding someone new.  How will that work out?  Do you have anyone in mind?  Will you be able to take the girls with you, or work from home while you search for someone?

Quoting untidyone:

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to weigh in on this! It is such a big deal. Our babysitter was great but this is not the first time her tone and attitude has been not so great. My oldest daughter's orthodontist personally emailed me with concerns about how she talked to the girls in her office. I spoke with my husband about it and we decided to leave it alone because people do have off days. This was months ago. Today, my husband was about the go into the kitchen to find out what was going on, but I came home first.

I did have to trust my mommy instinct. I work in Children's church once a month and some kids can be a challenge. I have to smile and be sweet. Yes, it's only once a month but my point is when working with children you have to be even tempered. My kids are not used to be people snapping at them. My husband and I have a saying, "Don't make your problem, my problem." I am not saying I have never gotten upset with my girls, but when I do, I apologize and correct myself. I guess I was taken aback that she didn't want to take time to calm down and center herself. It was a signal that she just isn't a good fit for us. I would give her a good recommendation though because she probably will work out better with older children.

Quoting christyg:

anyuka75
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I would have done the same exact thing.!!!!

lowencope
by Lucy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I know mama instincts are usually right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN