Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

OOOPS!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 11 Replies

I may have started a shit storm at work this morning lol There was an email sent out this morning that one of my co-workers grandmother IN LAW passed away and that flowers were sent and a card would be going around for everybody to sign. I am very sorry for her and her husbands loss, but here's the problem. I can think of two people, other coworkers, who recieved nothing ~ no acknowledgement, no flowers, not even a card, when they had immediate relatives pass away. The person who sent the email is also HR, so I asked her what the policy is on that because there are a few people with hurt feelings now. Basically it's the managers responsibility to either take care of it, or let someone know to take care of it, and it used to fall to accounting to do it, but I volunteered to be the go to for flower ordering in these situations. It wasn't even me who didn't get flowers, but it really upset me that it seemed like favorites were being picked. So hopefully we can get a clearer policy down so that people aren't looked over or forgotten. I feel bad that HR felt like she was being attacked, but if we hadn't of said anything, nothing would be done.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Ugh, it's awful when hurt feelings come about after coworkers are trying to do something nice. I would be offended if I went through a major loss and received no acknowledgement when others did, though. Hopefully everyone can be ok with knowing it wasn't intentional offense.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Yikes.  Yeah the policy needs to be laid out clearly and then actually followed in ALL situations.

Not really the same at all, but...when I was a teacher I had two of my 3 children while working in the same district.  I received no card, no flowers, no shower, no nothing.  Several other ladies were having babies at the same time I was having mine - and they had school sponsored showers, cards going around for everyone to sign, requests to donate extra to the 'sunshine club' to get them flowers for their hospital rooms, etc.  REALLY hurts.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Quoting the3Rs:

Yikes.  Yeah the policy needs to be laid out clearly and then actually followed in ALL situations.

Not really the same at all, but...when I was a teacher I had two of my 3 children while working in the same district.  I received no card, no flowers, no shower, no nothing.  Several other ladies were having babies at the same time I was having mine - and they had school sponsored showers, cards going around for everyone to sign, requests to donate extra to the 'sunshine club' to get them flowers for their hospital rooms, etc.  REALLY hurts.

omg that's awful! it is kind of the same thing, you're left wondering what's going on and why you haven't gotten the same treatment. But you wonder if saying something makes you sound greedy. Probably why I jumped in even though it wasn't my fight.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM
At my company, when this happens, it is usually word of mouth that gets it around. Accounting then orders an appropriate flower arrangement. There is no clear way of getting timely info set out in a policy. I wonder if some have felt left out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
That's not right. You can't do for some people and not for others.
flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Our policy isn't clear either. My grandpa passed last year and I got a card. A co worker lost her grandma and she got a card and flowers (sponsored by our boss). It's silly and petty but at least be consistent.
mayalove
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Quoting the3Rs:

I understand. I just had a baby in September. And at the end of last year the school I work at had a big baby shower for one of the teachers and a smaller one for another teacher. I got nothing. I've been at that school for six years. That really bothered me
rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Quoting cjsmom1:

That's not right. You can't do for some people and not for others.
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Something similar happened at my last work. There was a huge party for one of the associates for their birthday. It was my first year there, so I thought it was great that they did it, until I was told it was only for this one person. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Why only for that person. I don't understand why you would do for some people and not others.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Something similar happened at my last work. There was a huge party for one of the associates for their birthday. It was my first year there, so I thought it was great that they did it, until I was told it was only for this one person. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN