Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

son does need surgery. : (

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 19 Replies

Mitch was supposed to get his cast on today, but when we got to our appointment with the orthopedic surgeon, he said he was not comfortable with the angle the bone has slipped post-fracture. It's about 30 degrees off from where it should be. He said my options were to have him try to realign in there in the office, which would be really painful and not exact since he doesn't have an x-ray machine to see where the bones are, or put him under anesthesia, surgically realign it, and cast it while watching on a live x-ray feed. I decided it would be better to go ahead with the latter. If it grows back incorrectly, it would have to be broken again and realigned. I just don't think the risk is really worth it. I'd rather be overly cautious than not and make my poor child have to go through that much extra pain unnecessarily. So for now, we're still in the splint. 

AND I accidentally scheduled the surgery for his BIRTHDAY. UGH, I felt like the worst mom in the world when I realized that. Thankfully, Mike mentioned it as soon as I told him and I was able to call back and change it to the day before. So we're going in on Tuesday to get his cast on and fix his leg up FINALLY. 

The good news is that the doc said that he'll only have to wear the cast for 4 weeks, followed by 4 weeks of restricted activity. 

So, we do need surgery, but at least the cast won't have to be on quite as long as I had been thinking. MAN, this whole fall has turned into such a big nightmare. D :

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Poor guy! I think I would have made the same decision in those circumstances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I am so sorry.  Hope he gets better quickly.  At least you can do a party the week before his birthday so he won't have pictures of him in a cast on his birthday.

flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Oh man! I would choose surgery too I think
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Quoting deccaf:

I am so sorry.  Hope he gets better quickly.  At least you can do a party the week before his birthday so he won't have pictures of him in a cast on his birthday.

That would be this weekend! Actually, we're waiting until after. Since he's in a splint right now, he's even less mobile than he'll be in the cast. At least then it'll be hard and protected instead of really easy to move. 

I think I'm going to schedule his party for the last week in January. I feel a little guilty putting it off so long, but between the holidays, a trip I'm taking next weekend, and now all of this, there is just no way to do it sooner! 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I would have made the same decision you did. I hope he recovers quickly!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
*hugs* mama, I am sorry for ur DSs ordeal! It will go great though, and be nothing but a vague memory someday!

Good luck and keep us posted!
mickstinator
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Quoting Marti123:

*hugs* mama, I am sorry for ur DSs ordeal! It will go great though, and be nothing but a vague memory someday!

Good luck and keep us posted!

the weird thing is that we were just talking last week about how my son has recently entered the stage of long term memory. i'm thinking this may be one of his earliest memories. kind of crazy to think about when we're still going through it! 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I'm sorry that he has to have surgery but I think that I would have made the same decision. I hope that the surgery goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

Mireya926
by Mire on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Health Alway comes 1st!

rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

I would have made the same decision you did. I hope he recovers quickly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN