Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Would you take a pay cut for your family?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 28 Replies

I work in a assisted living but the hours don't work for my family at all so I'm thinking I'm gonna have to take a pay cut and do a resteraunt or cashier job so I can do 4-9 evening hours around my hubby's schedule so we don't have to pay daycare or it won't pay for me to work would u take a pay cut to make a little money around hubby's job  which he's been at 16 yrs plus my body can't take being a nursing assistant anymore it's just too hard

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I think if it was going to be better for my family I wouldn't even question it. If you can still survive on the pay cut and be able to make your schedule easier, why not?

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I paid my way through college by waitressing and bartending, so dont knock how much money you could make, but my weekends were spent working, so you still may be giving up time with your family.

blessedfamily06
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Some.waitressing gets paid good

Quoting MixedCooke:

I paid my way through college by waitressing and bartending, so dont knock how much money you could make, but my weekends were spent working, so you still may be giving up time with your family.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting blessedfamily06:

Some.waitressing gets paid good

Quoting MixedCooke:

it was a family restaurant type called Bennigan's.  I usually worked the dinner shift from 5pm until closing.  I rarely worked a full 8 and rarelt left with less than $75.  That was before the economy took a nosedive though.

I will say that my health insurance costs TRIPLED, so it is like I am taking a pay cut but I have the family plan, so its not like I am going to cancel our insurance KWIM.

christaberk
by Christa on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:20 AM
I would. if we could still survive on it, and it was better for my family, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I agree with this. Go for it if you can :)

Quoting leahbeah143:

I think if it was going to be better for my family I wouldn't even question it. If you can still survive on the pay cut and be able to make your schedule easier, why not?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Exactly. We've made similar choices a couple of times over the years, and don't regret it.

Quoting leahbeah143:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

This.

Quoting leahbeah143:

mickstinator
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Well, if it is more cost effective to take a paycut than keep the extra and give it away to daycare, then I would do it. My husband and I work opposing shifts and still have over a thousand bucks every month in daycare/preschool costs. It's because in addition to working full time, he goes to school part time. 

Megan11587
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM
If you can afford it, yeah.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)