Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping an eagle eye on the door waiting for him... **Small update**Update #2**

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

This afternoon one of our employees told me that our driver fell and possible injured herself at a business she was delivering to. Great! Of all weeks for this to happen, it has to be days before the owner gets back in town.

From what I understand, the driver was attempting to catch an elevator, it closed and she was pushed back onto the floor. Employees there said that there wasn't much they could do, but that she should make a report with the leasing office. She called our business like 4 times because she didn't know what to do. You're 50 years old, a grown woman!! If you think that you are injured and need immediate care, call for an ambulance! She left the business and she was going to drive herself to the emergency department and have her husband meet her. Meanwhile she is driving the company vehicle.

I was getting what another employee was telling me, I myself hadn't talked to our driver myself. I called and she said she was on the way to the emergency room. She never mentioned to the other employee that she would be going straight there. She said that she was more upset over what happened than being hurt. She has to in a sense pass our business to go to the emergency room. So I asked her to drop the shop vehicle off and take her own or have her husband meet her here. She agreed, didn't argue or anything.

When she got here she looked stiff. I told her to sit at my desk since it's right by the front door and wait for her husband. We would take care of what was in the vehicle and for her just to sit down. I said no more than that to her. But she told our boss that I was very rude and demanded she sit down and make a report for us. I never said anything about a report to her, our other employee had mentioned something about it over the phone with her earlier but the issue wasn't pressed when she came in.

So I continued to work on things outside and missed when her husband came to get her. She had told another employee that she has a very high pain tolerance, but thinks she should get checked anyway and so on. She didn't know what to do because everyone was telling her different things. Everyone was telling her to go the emergency room, as I had also told her. Her husband had come in to get her and seemed threatening to the employees. For the one employee, she doesn't feel threatened easily, she's a hard old bird. So he must have been really pumped up. He pretty much blamed me, said that I would pay and I would be sorry if she was truly hurt. First things first buddy-boy, in the 7 or so years she's been working here, she's had back issues and has been seeing a chiropractor and massage therapist. And don't blame me! She led us all to believe she wasn't that hurt over the phone. So yes, I'm going to ask her to bring the work vehicle back and take her own or have you pick her up! Again, she is an adult! She had the option to call for an ambulance, call to have us or her husband meet her at the business she fell at ... so on and so on. Not to mention, be up front and honest on how you feel!!! Don't say that you feel rattled when you feel like you were run over by a train!! I don't know yours or anyone elses pain tolerance, I know my own!!

I talked to the owner and she is seeing what is going on. She sides with me and the others with our decisions. She did say that I should have stayed in the store and waited until the employees husband came though. So now I'm waiting for 5:30 to come so I can close up, the other employees left a little over an hour ago and I'm all by myself. I'm hoping that they don't come to get his truck while I'm here. He conveniently parked it right outside the door so I can see when and if they come to get it. He's a very aggressive and mean man. She says he's gotten better, but obviously not for today. I told my oldest brother who happens to have his own business a few doors down. He said that if he comes and I feel threatened to call him and he would be down to handle it.

This morning I called the employee to see how she was doing. I tried her cell phone first so I wouldn't chance talking to her husband, it was off. *sigh* So I called her home number and her husband answered. I did my best to sound sweet and all and asked if she was by chance sleeping or able to talk. He said she was sleeping. So I asked what the ER said and if she had contacted her primary and or chiropractor. He said that she had sprained her back (She later called and said it was a lumbosacral ((sp?)) strain - lower back) and that she was given pain medication. I told him that she can take as many days as she required (the owner said that she needed a doctors note to allow her back to work) that we had enough help and for her to call me when she had the chance that it wasn't urgent.

I was so ready for him to start yelling at me seeing as he was so pumped yesterday when he came to get her. I'm not a very confrontational person to begin with and when I get overly upset I stutter and say things before I think about them. The owner told me to document every call made and what was said, that if he came to the shop or called and was threatening to tell him that she would return by tomorrow afternoon/early evening and to take it up with her and to leave me be.

It's been hours since I've heard from either one of them nor have I seen them. I've never been so anxious for my boss to get back!! LOL

The employees husband came in this morning to speak with the owner now that she is in town. They talked about a few things and made phone calls. He apologized for the way that he had acted and said that he should have known to just go to where she was and gotten her. He said that we all said and did things that we didn't mean. He knows that his wife is a very emotional person and at times can not think clearly and wants someone else to make the decisions for her.

I briefly spoke to him about my actions and what I had said, explained that I do care about her and that I am sorry for what had happened. He said that he wasn't mad at me anymore. He thought about it all and realized that in fact I had done the right thing and that he shouldn't have jumped to being so upset at me.

So after he left a great weight was lifted. He said that she will most likely come in and speak with the owner and the rest of us. We told him that she doesn't have to worry about losing her job like she thinks she is. We've dealt with a lot of things with her over the years and this wasn't going to be something that would make her lose her job. She has to bring a doctors note saying that she can return to work and when she does, she will be on limited duties because we don't want something happening further to her.

She has a lot on her plate as it is, we said that if she wants another week off that she is more than welcome to take it. We told him that since he is out of work that he can come and take over some of her responsibilites if he would like even. Her mother is in an elderly home and requires a lot of help/attention, told him that we would be more than happy to help with her in any way since she does alot for her.

So, we'll see.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Wow. If she was in pain she should have called an ambulance. What if she crashed from being hurt?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
That was one of my concerns as well. But she obviously didn't think about that.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Wow. If she was in pain she should have called an ambulance. What if she crashed from being hurt?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I agree that she should have called an ambulance or her husband to pick her up from where she fell. I don't see how it could be your fault since she's an adult and knows her tolerance for pain.

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My point exactly!! Also, the only time I talked to her was when she had already left and was about 2 miles away from the business. So I didn't get the whole story as to what had happened. Basically all I knew is that she ran into the doors and fell .. but how was I suppose to know that she was really hurt or not you know.

Quoting trfgirl56701:

I agree that she should have called an ambulance or her husband to pick her up from where she fell. I don't see how it could be your fault since she's an adult and knows her tolerance for pain.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Seems like the only thing you can do is document EVERYTHING so they don't try coming at you.

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM

That's what I'm doing. I had the other 2 employees write up statements yesterday as I had. I even wrote down what the employee told me today about what had happened. I just have to wait for when she comes in so that she can fill out her own for us - that or get a copy of what she told the management company of the building she was at. It's too bad that there isn't a recording feature on our business phone or even camera's in our store.. wonder if the building had cameras there.. wouldn't hurt to ask. Especially if her husband pushes her to sue.

Quoting deccaf:

Seems like the only thing you can do is document EVERYTHING so they don't try coming at you.

4monkeykids
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

He had no right to threaten you, you did nothing wrong. I would be more frustrated about that. And she made the decision to drive, if shes that hurt she should have known better seeing as how shes an adult. How did the night go last night?

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Exactly!!!!! LOL

It went good thankfully, by the time I closed and was leaving they (he) never showed. I went to the CVS that is next to our plaza to grab a drink and wait for SO to get me. I waited out front and ta-da!! There's the employees husband driving right past me and didn't even see me!! Talk about a nervous moment!!! I was waiting for him to notice me standing there and come over to me. *sigh*

Quoting 4monkeykids:

He had no right to threaten you, you did nothing wrong. I would be more frustrated about that. And she made the decision to drive, if shes that hurt she should have known better seeing as how shes an adult. How did the night go last night?

4monkeykids
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yep that sounds like a way scary moment, good thing that he didn't see you!!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Exactly!!!!! LOL

It went good thankfully, by the time I closed and was leaving they (he) never showed. I went to the CVS that is next to our plaza to grab a drink and wait for SO to get me. I waited out front and ta-da!! There's the employees husband driving right past me and didn't even see me!! Talk about a nervous moment!!! I was waiting for him to notice me standing there and come over to me. *sigh*

Quoting 4monkeykids:

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Okay, so I'm going to look at this a little differently than others may.  I copied and pasted part of what you said and highlighted a few things.  I am guessing from the way you wrote this that you are basically "in charge" when the boss is gone.  That being said, as a former school principal (so essentially a "boss" to about 75 adults and over 500 kids) I believe that (no matter how you feel) you always want your employees to feel you value having them work with and for you.  It makes working a much better experience for all concerned.  So why did I highlight some of what you wrote?  ... because to me you came across as sounding angry at her, frustrated at her for getting hurt on your watch.  Now, I am probably wrong in assuming that, but if that is what I am reading into what you wrote, maybe she and her husband read some of those same things into how you responded, or in her case, didn't respond to her.  I'll leave it at that, but it is something to think about.

This afternoon one of our employees told me that our driver fell and possible injured herself at a business she was delivering to. Great! Of all weeks for this to happen, it has to be days before the owner gets back in town.

From what I understand, the driver was attempting to catch an elevator, it closed and she was pushed back onto the floor. Employees there said that there wasn't much they could do, but that she should make a report with the leasing office. She called our business like 4 times because she didn't know what to do. You're 50 years old, a grown woman!! If you think that you are injured and need immediate care, call for an ambulance! She left the business and she was going to drive herself to the emergency department and have her husband meet her. Meanwhile she is driving the company vehicle.

I was getting what another employee was telling me, I myself hadn't talked to our driver myself. I called and she said she was on the way to the emergency room. She never mentioned to the other employee that she would be going straight there. She said that she was more upset over what happened than being hurt. She has to in a sense pass our business to go to the emergency room. So I asked her to drop the shop vehicle off and take her own or have her husband meet her here. She agreed, didn't argue or anything.

When she got here she looked stiff. I told her to sit at my desk since it's right by the front door and wait for her husband. We would take care of what was in the vehicle and for her just to sit down. I said no more than that to her. But she told our boss that I was very rude and demanded she sit down and make a report for us. I never said anything about a report to her, our other employee had mentioned something about it over the phone with her earlier but the issue wasn't pressed when she came in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)