Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Any Real Estate Agents in here?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi, I have actually been on the job hunt. I have been a receptionist for almost nine years now. I am getting bored with it and really want a change and something more challenging and also with a better pay. Anyways, I was just wondering if you are a Real Estate Agent:

1. How did you get into the business?

2. What do you love about it?

3. What do you hate about it?

4. Can you list the pros/cons?

5. What kind of hours do you work?

6. And..how long have you been a Real Estate Agent?

Thank You:)

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump!! Good questions! ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I was a real estate agent many years ago.  I did property management, which requires a real estate license as well as a property management permit.  I got in by working in the office of a management company.  I loved meeting all the people and the commissions!!  I didn't like that so much of my "time off" was taken up in showing houses.  Also, the fact that you never know what kind of person you are dealing with, the danger is a little off-puting.  I am no longer an agent, I left that behind when I moved out of state.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Oh okay. That sounds like a good career really. May I ask what your hours were like? I mean what kind of hours you worked?

Quoting deccaf:

I was a real estate agent many years ago.  I did property management, which requires a real estate license as well as a property management permit.  I got in by working in the office of a management company.  I loved meeting all the people and the commissions!!  I didn't like that so much of my "time off" was taken up in showing houses.  Also, the fact that you never know what kind of person you are dealing with, the danger is a little off-puting.  I am no longer an agent, I left that behind when I moved out of state.

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

My office hours were 8:30-5 M-F.  But to show houses, you are on call on off hours and weekends.  Your schedule has to be flexible to show people during the times they can look.

Quoting raegan1221:

Oh okay. That sounds like a good career really. May I ask what your hours were like? I mean what kind of hours you worked?

Quoting deccaf:

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Oh okay, I see. Thanks!

Quoting deccaf:

My office hours were 8:30-5 M-F.  But to show houses, you are on call on off hours and weekends.  Your schedule has to be flexible to show people during the times they can look.

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting deccaf:

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

BUMP!

MommyLanie
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

DissieDothe
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Been there ... done that.

You can take some classes at college and do a program with a realtor.

I loved the challenge of selling and was said to have great closing talent.

The people contracting you to sell their house can get wishy-washy and some call you every day.

The housing market is a con right now.
When there is a house shortage ... that really sucks.
Maintaining your upper clientele - that's a pro!

If you're 100% sales - no adm, you work about 15 hours a week. Sometimes there's a paycheck ... sometimes not.

I did this for about 4 years ... It's fun but not too much steady income.  

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Ok, thank you! There's a real estate school here that actually offers the courses. So I priced those, etc. But the steady income thing is exactly what I was wondering about. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your input:).

Quoting DissieDothe:

Been there ... done that.

You can take some classes at college and do a program with a realtor.

I loved the challenge of selling and was said to have great closing talent.

The people contracting you to sell their house can get wishy-washy and some call you every day.

The housing market is a con right now.
When there is a house shortage ... that really sucks.
Maintaining your upper clientele - that's a pro!

If you're 100% sales - no adm, you work about 15 hours a week. Sometimes there's a paycheck ... sometimes not.

I did this for about 4 years ... It's fun but not too much steady income.  

baileymarie723
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM
I am not a real estate agent, but I am the secretary for one. Your best bet to get into the business would be to contact the real estate company you are most interested in and talk to their broker to guide you in the right direction. Since I am not an agent I just work for them I don't know all the pros and cons, but the biggest pro I've noticed with our agents is you can pretty much set your own hours. The biggest con I've noticed is if you don't sell houses you don't get paid. Being a real estate agent is commission based, so you don't get a consistant paycheck. I've worked for this company for almost 6 years, so I have kind of picked up on how the business works.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN