Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Are you an author?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
I'm in the middle of learning about publishing my first book. I have never dine this before so I'm doing a lot of research! I'm just wondering if there are any moms here that have published a book before that could give me some pointers or tips?
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 7:59 AM
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Do you have an agent?

slightlyperfect

KateSmith88
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM
No, I'm looking into what agents are out there. I'm not sure who to pick or if I could email like and ask if they want to be my agent... Lol. I'm not sure how to start...

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Do you have an agent?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Look into self-publishing as well.  I know a lot of books have failed with agents, but have been self-published very successfully.

SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 7:59 AM
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It depends on your expectations and the genre. Today a lot of content is out there that is in the "self-publishing" arena, too. I never recommend a person to go that route unless you can't find an agent willing to work with you (and you're writing fiction, because at least that genre can sell on sites like Amazon).

My best advice is to write the book first, secure the best editor and then proofreader you can find (these are two very distinct positions in the publishing field--they cover different elements of the book--so each position should not be filled by the same person!), and get the MS as "perfect" as you can. This first time will be all on your dime.

Then, when you're ready to seek an agent for the first time, check out sites like Agent Query and Literary Market Place. Pick a few and write your letters. 

The best advice I ever received is to never pay to sell your book. Remember those "poetry anthologies" that used to be on TV? You'd submit your work, they "publish it," and then you buy the book? That's how they made their money. They'd accept absolute shit, "publish" it, and then except you to buy your own work!

If you're into educational book publishing, I can recommend some contacts I have. If you're writing fiction or in another field, I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance after this.

Quoting KateSmith88:

No, I'm looking into what agents are out there. I'm not sure who to pick or if I could email like and ask if they want to be my agent... Lol. I'm not sure how to start...

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Do you have an agent?

slightlyperfect

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Give me a second, I have a Vlog you can check out :-)

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I've always been interested in writing a book. Maybe that will be my retirement project...haha. Good luck to you!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I was writing and looked into publishing. LuLu seemed to be the best self-publishing but you do have to market yourself. There is a listing for publishers who accept new authors. Finding an agent is kinda screwy ... I never did figure it out. 

I learned a lot about SEO and without it, your work is dead in the publishing business.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

bump

APJrzy
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM

That's great!  I've been encouraged to write, but just haven't been able to completely put pen to paper, so to say  CONGRATULATIONS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)