Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9-to-5ers How do you get things done?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have worked nights throughout my time as a Mom and find things such as doctor's appointments, errands, grocery shopping, etc. so much easier to do in the morning since less people are out there and I dont have to take time off for appointments or if the kids are home sick.

Honest question: When do you do your grocery shopping? Laundry? Do you have to take time off from work for your appointments or when the kids are sick? What time do you get home from work? What time do the kids go to bed?

Please understand that I am not in any way trying to bash, just wondering how it would be if I switch back to a regular schedule.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
andrea96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I usually grocery shop on either Saturday morning or Sunday morning. Sometimes, I do Saturday afternoon if I have to. Laundry is Saturday and Sunday. I don't have to take time off of work for appointments or sick kids; I can just leave early/come in late or work from home. I will usually work through lunch on days I come in late or leave early. On days I go straight home, I get home between 5:15 and 5:30. On days I go to the gym after work, it's usually around 6:30. The kids go to bed around 8:30 on school nights.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM

DH and I both work 8-5. We have 4 kids still at home (18, 16, 14, and 7) The older 3 are my steps and are with us every other week from Friday to Friday. They are old enough that if they are sick, they can stay home by themselves - unless they have a really high fever or are throwing up a lot. DH stays home with them. We rotate staying home with our 7 yo, who has missed school 1 day in the last 3 years so that's really a nonissue.

As far as household things - we divide it up.  We have a housecleaning night once a week where we divide up the chores and spend a half hour cleaning. With 6 of us, it doesn't take long. DH is in charge of the laundry, but I do my own. If someone has an appointment, one of us has to take off work to take them. Luckily we both have pretty flexible workplaces so it's usually not an issue. Grocery shopping varies. Depending on the activities for the week, I may go Thursday night or I may go Saturday morning. I tend to get up earlier than everyone else so I can usually get the shopping done, get home and get things put away before anyone else is even up. The older kids are all in EC's so they don't get home from practice until 6-6:30. That works out well for supper. Gives DH and me time to get home and make something quick. We do quick meals during the week and we use the crock pot a lot. It's not bad, it just requires some planning and a lot of flexibility.

PeaceLoveZ
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
For me I grocery shop on Sundays, do laundry in the mornings and evenings... For appointments I try to schedule them on the same day so I only have to use one Personal day... My boss is very family oriented so they understand if I have to take a day to be home with a sick baby. I get home about 6-ish and Misters bed time is about 830.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I used to work night shift it was so much better, I've been working day shift and I hate it. But you get used to it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahfire
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
We get home around 545-6pm, I make dinner (usually a 30 min meal) sit down and eat, give the kids a bath, get the ready for bed, put the little one in bed then go finish cleaning the kitchen, laundry is usually shoved off til the weekends mostly along with any other heavy/deep cleaning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I work 8-4. By the time I pick up my son, I'm home around 5:30. I get home, cook dinner, do a load of laundry, straighten up, pack lunches for work. My son goes to bed around 9. I do my grocery shopping on Sundays and big cleaning on Saturdays. I'm lucky, though, because my mom watches my son during the day and if I can't get weekend appointments, she takes him for me.
mom2boys664
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I work 8:30-5:30, but I have an hour and a half commute each way.  I get up at 6, get ready, get the boys up (7,6,4), get them breakfast, wake DH and head out by 7.  DH takes the kids to bus & preschool, he works 9-5, but nearby. After work dh picks up kids, and cooks dinner which we all sit down to at 7 when I walk in the door. After dinner we do homework/dishes and read.  We also play Wii and watch some tv, and bedtime is 9pm.

Sometimes I do laundry in the evenings, or on weekends.  Dh sometimes stops at the store on the way to get the kids for a quick few things, and occasionally on my lunch hour I pickup things like paper towels, etc., and I usually do all school shopping and birthday/ christmas shopping then too (also because we live about 20 minutes from the closest stores). The remainder is left for the weekends. The older boys are in Cub Scouts, so I leave work early on those nights,dh and I both go to all functions, and I can work from home occasionally, so appointments and the like are not a total waste of a day.  Same for sick days, although I pretty much have to take a day off if there is a snow day, etc. because there is no way I can watch three kids and work, lol. Because we live so far from shopping, I do a lot of online shopping too which helps.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My mom worked nights almost my entire childhood and she asks me the same thing.  I do most of my chores on the weekend...laundry, shopping, most of the cleaning around the house, etc.  My job is really cool about taking time off for sick kids and doctor appointments and I've been here a long time so I've got tons of vacation time and personal time.

This is how my day should look: Drop kids at daycare @ 7:30am, Get to work @ 8am, Leave work @ 4:45pm, Pick up kids and get home by @ 5:15pm, They do homework while I cook dinner which should be on the table by 6:30pm, Showers, cleaning their room, watching TV, playing games until bedtime @ 8:30pm.

That's how it should look, but I'm almost always running late...LOL!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I work 7a-3p so I'm usually home by 4. We usually do our grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday. As far as the cooking, cleaning and laundry I usually do that as needed. We usually have dinner sometime after 7 and ds goes to bed between 9 and 10.

annasmom1234
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I do my grocery shopping on Fri. afternoon after work (I get off a little earlier because I work later during the week), and if my dd is sick, my hubby or I take off work (he actually gets more SL than I do).  I either take time off for Drs. appts., or make them all during a holiday.  I try to plan ahead with meals, and use the crock pot ALOT!  I do 1 load of laundry a day (at night) to try to keep up, and just try to tidy as I go during the week, and do most of the cleaning on Sat.  I get up very early, so my dd and I go to bed at the same time (8:30).  I used to work part-time, and I miss being able to really feel prepared to go to the grocery store.  Now, I just basically run through the store grabbing stuff on my list!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)