Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

9-to-5ers How do you get things done?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have worked nights throughout my time as a Mom and find things such as doctor's appointments, errands, grocery shopping, etc. so much easier to do in the morning since less people are out there and I dont have to take time off for appointments or if the kids are home sick.

Honest question: When do you do your grocery shopping? Laundry? Do you have to take time off from work for your appointments or when the kids are sick? What time do you get home from work? What time do the kids go to bed?

Please understand that I am not in any way trying to bash, just wondering how it would be if I switch back to a regular schedule.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
4monkeykids
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You cram everything into 2 little days and most of the time don't ever get anything done! Grocery shopping yep on the weekend to, I personally try to go when exdh has the kids just so I'm not struggling with them. Yes I take time off for sick kids and/or appointments. I walk through the door about 5:45 most days and kids go to bed at 9. 

mmeredith
by Mandy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

You know I have always wondered this myself. I work 2 jobs right now (3am-5am -newspaper delivery) & then on Fridays& Saturdays I work 6-10 at Kohls. My dh works 6am to 315p (or as late as 715). I love our schedules.

DissieDothe
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Question for 3rd shifter? When do you sleep?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I work 6:30 to 3:30. I still have time for errands and just leave when I need to for drs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

We have a housekeeper because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with household chores lol. It takes off a lot of stress.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I go grocery shopping by myself once a week (usually on Sundays).  Sundays are days for my husband to plan for his classes and grade papers (he is a teacher) so the kids will entertain themselves. 

My job is pretty flexible for the most part and I have a really support supervisor so it's great when the kids are sick or I need to take them to appointments. 

I get off of work at 4:30, pick them up and we are usually heading home for dinner, homework, chores and playtime or sports.  We are a busy family but we love it.  We don't have the cleanest home....but it's nice.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I want one so bad!!  My husband doesn't trust anyone so i'm sure if there is a pencil missing he would blame it on the housekeeper.

Quoting Josie_P:

We have a housekeeper because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with household chores lol. It takes off a lot of stress.

lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM

That's a lot of questions. :) I've been a 9-5er and a night worker. I actually prefer 9-5ng to an extent - only draw back is I'm not a morning person.

Grocery shopping: weekends or after work. Laundry: weekend or after work. Time off for appointments? work for a really incredibly flexible organization. So I adjust my hours as necessary. I try to schedule either first or last appts, and either take off early and make up hours later or come in late and make up hours later. My dr and my house is clear on the other side of town though so I don't want to come way back here after an appt. I don't like waisting time/gas. I get home from work about 4:30. My regular hours are Mon-Fri 8-4 and I don't take lunch. Right now I'm working crazy overtime so my hours are 6:30(ish) to 4(ish) and I'm working Saturdays 6:30-3. For the next couple weeks though I'll have a second job too and won't be home until 9:30pm. Good thing my girls are teenagers. :) My kids pretty much take care of themselves. They know when they need to go to bed, they know when they need to get up and most of the time they put themselves to bed when it's time. No later than 10:30 though.

Dani_Lynn
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Grocery shopping on the weekends. Crock pot dinners make thimga go smoother after work. Kids go to bed at 8:30 and yes, I have to use PTO for sick days and doctor appointments.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Kids are young now...2 and 5. We have intentionally kept them out of extra curriculars or plan them for the weekend. That will change this spring when DS1 starts baseball. That will need some planning for sure!

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Getting home at 5:30 and having two hours to do dinner and stuff before bed... do your kids do extracurricular activities?  Sports/dance/music etc?

I'm trying to figure out how to do it... once my kiddos make up their minds what THEY want to do. 

Quoting Loveplusmama:

I think you just get used to whatever schedule you have an make it fit- but I do love my random days off when I can grocery shop early on a weekday!

Grocery shopping generally gets done on the weekend while the kids are napping or my husband and I divide and conquer- one of us has the kids for something fun, the other is running errands. Sometimes we grocery shop after work, but that's harder to get organized for.

Laundry- I do a few loads during the week after work. Most done on the weekend. We usually have family movie night on night on a weekend, so much of it gets done then. 

Fortunately, my job is flexible, so I can flex my hours for appointments, but usually I take time off for sick kids. If I can get a little work done, that is a bonus, but I don't count on it. 

We get home from work about 5 or 5:30, kids start bedtime routines at 7:30 and are in bed by 8 or 8:15. Most weeks, my husband gets off early enough to start dinner, which is a huge help, but our evenings are very tight with dinner, baths and bed. I have no idea what happens when homework gets thrown in the mix, but we will figure it out!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN