Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

9-to-5ers How do you get things done?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have worked nights throughout my time as a Mom and find things such as doctor's appointments, errands, grocery shopping, etc. so much easier to do in the morning since less people are out there and I dont have to take time off for appointments or if the kids are home sick.

Honest question: When do you do your grocery shopping? Laundry? Do you have to take time off from work for your appointments or when the kids are sick? What time do you get home from work? What time do the kids go to bed?

Please understand that I am not in any way trying to bash, just wondering how it would be if I switch back to a regular schedule.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
NeOnPrInCeSs3
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Honestly I do everything on my scheduled days off. During the week I work 9-6 and weekends i work whenever and my kids dont go to bed until 8 pm.

nurbabe82
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I have been working 8-5 for the last 3 years and I find it to be a pain in the ass lol. I do most of the cleaning and laundry on the weekends. Whatever laundry I didn't get to on the weekend I do through the week-throw a load in the wash in the morning as I am getting ready and then when I get home throw that in the dryer and repeat lol. We do grocery shopping on the weekends too but sometimes will do it a day through the week. I have to take time off of work for MD appts. I would love to go back to 3 12hr days.

Josie_P
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Haha my husband was the same way! He tested our housekeeper and left out our expensive things, left open the door to his office, put in cameras. He was not even joking LOL! She did pass though!

Quoting M4LG5:

I want one so bad!!  My husband doesn't trust anyone so i'm sure if there is a pencil missing he would blame it on the housekeeper.

Quoting Josie_P:

We have a housekeeper because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with household chores lol. It takes off a lot of stress.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I work M-F 730 to 3. My MIL puts my boys on the bus in the morning. They are with her for about an hour every morning. I am home by the time they get off the bus so they are dropped off at our house. If I have to work and they have off they either stay home with their sister (she's 19) or my MIL (who has a hair salon in her house so she is always home. She will also keep the boys if they are sick and my dd has to work.

When do you do your grocery shopping? I go shopping either Friday night or early Saturday morning. I like to grocery shop better when I am off during the summer b/c I can go on days and at times when everyone else is at work.  

Laundry?I do a load of laundry daily to keep up. Many times I will throw a load into the washer before I leave for work then put it in the dryer when I get home. On nights when my husband is off he will do laundry too.

Do you have to take time off from work for your appointments or when the kids are sick?I try to schedule annual appointments (physical, mammo, gyno, dermatologist, etc) during the summer when I am off work. I can go at any time then. During the school year I try to make appointments for after 3pm. If I can't I will take a sick day or family sick day if one of the boys is sick. We also have walk in ready care places in our area that are open later than my doctors office, usually til 7 pm, and they take our insurance so I don't really stress if I can't get an appt. at my doctor's office or my kids ped.

What time do you get home from work?I get home about 5 to 10 minutes after 3.  I start dinner around 330pm, hubby leaves for work at 5 pm, boys are off the bus about 415pm.

What time do the kids go to bed? My boys go to bed at the same time as I do. Through the week it's 830 in bed lights out by 9pm. I get up at 530, boys get up at 630 on school days. We all stay up a little later on the weekends. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I have a hectic work schedule and often wonder how I manage to get things done. Tomorrow I work until 3:30 and when I finish I'll come home grab all the laundry and go to the laundromat. I typically go every Saturday after work because ds's basketball and wrestling singlet need to get washed. The two days a week I work 16 hour shifts my brother will bring ds to his practices and the other days I do it. I cook every night that I'm home and do whatever cleaning I can.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Grocery shopping is done on Saturday. I like going to Sams club on Saturdays because they have samples between 11 - 3, so it helps keep DS on track. Laundry I do at night or weekends. Yes, you have to take time off for appointments or if your kids are sick, or find alternate care. I get home around 5:30 most days and DS goes to bed at 8.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Laundry...at least a load a night, a dozen , or so it seems on weekends. Apptss are handled by whoever has less on their calendar that day. Sick kids....lay on the couch and call us if you have to. (They are 11 and 14)...I do all the scouts and we split up sports. Housecleaning....me. but dh is good at picking up and making it look like he cleaned all day. I'm good at deep cleaning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:21 AM

. I cram a lot of errands into lunch time. If I hit a good traffic day, I can sometimes get quick Target or Wal Mart stops in on my way to work. In the winter, I can go to a late lunch and buy groceries. I'm fortunate that my husband has days off in the middle of the week, so he handles a lot of the banking etc. I try to set up check ups for DS on DH's off days and either go in late or schedule just before or after lunch.We both go the the appointment, but I don't have to back track to daycare"  If a sick day falls on a day we both work, I'm  the one who takes off since I can usually work at home.Since my son has is a chronic wheezer, I sometimes have to call in grandma and papa to pick him up at my office. It's a blessing having retired in laws!

WLJ2316
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM
I'm fairly lucky as I'm at the office 7-6 Mon-Thurs and every 2nd Saturday with the following Thursday off.
I maintain things throughout the week and do the heavy duty cleaning & errands on my Fridays and schedule any appointments for the third Thurs & Friday of the month when I'm off.

I love this schedule because it allows me to still keep things in order at home and not spend my weekends cleaning and doing errands. That one weekday off makes a huge difference, and the long days are completely worth it. I work for a non-profit that's very family oriented.

However I have done te 9-5 and the biggest piece of advice I can give is to organize and maintain. I'm an extremely organized person, not because I'm "OCD" as I've been accused, but because I know how much EASIER life is when everything is organized. And I do mean everything. From the house, to bills to laundry and our schedules. If you spend half an hour a day maintaining that organization you'll see that you're less stressed, you have more time, and you spend less time catching up! Pinterest has amazing ideas for family organization and I follow a blog called iheartorganizing, that woman is a genius! Good luck :)
aimesnyc
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM
I plan my meals for the week, so grocery shopping once a week (and hubby does the shopping) on the weekend. Laundry is also on the weekend, mainly b/c we have to go to the laundromat. Pediatrician is open until 6:30pm, so I take our son after work. If he's sick, hubby and I take turns staying home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)