Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

what do you say

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 22 Replies
I'm new here. Hi. Lol. I'm at work and my dh's grandma called me and my daughter who is 2 was whining telling me to come pick her up. How do i explain to a 2 year old that I'm working and have to work for her? It upsets me that i can't hold her while she is on the phone crying.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I hate when that happens. I woud just explain you'll see her later

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

hugs

DS sometimes has a hard time going to daycare. I reassure him that he will have a ton of fun and I ask him to do an art project just for me during the day. When she calls you, stay positive! Tell her to have fun and encourage her to go play. Don't focus on you having to work and she won't focus on it. I know its tough to hear :(

paytertotsmomma
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I told her I'll bring her home a tattoo but it's still hard on her

Quoting cjsmom1:

I hate when that happens. I woud just explain you'll see her later

paytertotsmomma
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
We are going through potty training and she pees on herself when she's mad or sad. I think she's doing it for attention.

Quoting Nighttiger:

hugs

DS sometimes has a hard time going to daycare. I reassure him that he will have a ton of fun and I ask him to do an art project just for me during the day. When she calls you, stay positive! Tell her to have fun and encourage her to go play. Don't focus on you having to work and she won't focus on it. I know its tough to hear :(

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

that's why DS does it too and that's why I can't feed into it. He just turned 3 and is a master at delay tactics and manipulation if you fall for it. I just give him as many choices in life as I can, keep positive if he shows that he's upset at something, and tell him what to expect and then follow through with it. For example, as I put him to bed at night, I tell him he gets to sing 2 songs with me and then I will leave. there are nights he will try to play me by crying when I leave, but I know he's fine. He will try it for maybe 5 minutes and then just go to sleep when he realizes its not working. You know she's safe and probably having fun, so just encourage her to enjoy it and give her a task to complete for you when you get home. It will give her pride to do something for you that you will be proud of!

Quoting paytertotsmomma:

We are going through potty training and she pees on herself when she's mad or sad. I think she's doing it for attention.

Quoting Nighttiger:

hugs

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Just before DS turned 2 we had a conversation about where we go when he goes to school. I asked him if he liked ice cream and toys. Of course, he answered yes. I told him that mommy and daddy go to work so we can buy ice cream and toys. He walked around repeating that for a couple months. He's so cute in the mornings when I drop him off at daycare. He tells his teacher, "mommy go to whurk.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi!

Just tell her how much you miss her and then redirect her attention naming all sorts of fun things she can do with grandma in a really excited voice..

lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM

My sister tells my 3 yo nephew that she has to work so she can feed him. :) That seems to work for him.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM
It is so hard!!

We have always told the boys we are blessed to live the life we have. Mommy gets to go to work, they get to go to school (daycare). Develop routines, stick to them,(ur Grandma hopefully can help with that). My DSs both went through long phases of crying and whining, trying to manipulate their world, figuring out their emotions and what might trigger mine. If they sensed me lingering or getting upset, it fueled that fire. But all phases.

It will get better!
rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
This is a good idea. :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Hi!

Just tell her how much you miss her and then redirect her attention naming all sorts of fun things she can do with grandma in a really excited voice..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)