Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I need tips on how to fit in quick workouts during the day or week. I have an 8-5 desk job and 3 kids. Both full-time jobs. What types of exercises do you all do that seem to work?

Carmalita

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Bump I need to work on this too. My mil and I were talking about walking a couple days a week but now we have to wait until she's healed up from her lapband replacement surgery this morning.

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My job generally had me up and moving alot - so lots of walking every day.  Because the job kept me so busy, I worked exercise into it - stairs, not elevators and parking far away from a destination and walking were two of the things I did regularly.  

kflemino22
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I have been doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred.  It is a 20 minute workout so easy to fit in early in the am or after the kids have gone to bed.  Actually my kids like to try to do it with me so I am interacting with them and getting my workout in.  It's a tough workout, but I have seen awesome results!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

None.  I have no time.  Between work, school, and a 2 year old, I barely have time to sleep.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I also have an 8-5 desk job. I can NOT get out of bed any earlier and work out in the morning, and the evenings are so busy with kids' activities that it's not really in the cards for me to work out after work.

I go to the gym during my lunch break. My company is very flexible and no one cares if I'm gone for 10 extra minutes. The gym is 5 minutes from work and has a shower, so I don't have to come back all sweaty. It's not a perfect workout, but it's 20-30 minutes with no problem. Gives time for a quick run or elliptical workout, or lifting weights.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have this one too and it's great! I did use it a lot this summer when it was too hot to sit and watch the kids' baseball games! It's a great workout - cardio, strength training. And it's fast!

Quoting kflemino22:

I have been doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred.  It is a 20 minute workout so easy to fit in early in the am or after the kids have gone to bed.  Actually my kids like to try to do it with me so I am interacting with them and getting my workout in.  It's a tough workout, but I have seen awesome results!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I am the same as you.....work full-time, 3 kids, etc. We are a busy sporty family so I find that my only time to exercise is during my lunch time (but not all the time).  Right now I have no motivation because it's so cold.  I hate the cold.

I do try to make it to the gym on the weekends.  Other than that, I've been doing the daily workout apps that I put on my nook.  I have arms, legs, cardio, abs, and butt (I think).  I can tailor it to how long I want to spend on which area and I try to do at least 30 minutes in the morning or in the evening when everyone is winding down.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

If my gym was 5 minutes from my work, I would totally do that.  It is 5 minutes from my house.....but I work 25 minutes away.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I also have an 8-5 desk job. I can NOT get out of bed any earlier and work out in the morning, and the evenings are so busy with kids' activities that it's not really in the cards for me to work out after work.

I go to the gym during my lunch break. My company is very flexible and no one cares if I'm gone for 10 extra minutes. The gym is 5 minutes from work and has a shower, so I don't have to come back all sweaty. It's not a perfect workout, but it's 20-30 minutes with no problem. Gives time for a quick run or elliptical workout, or lifting weights.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM
I wake up at 4:35am to run or do weights. I also run at lunch. I also work full time and have 3 kids.

You just have to do it. If its important you will make time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:02 AM

while at my desk--I do NEAT--

NEAT, an acronym for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, refers to maintenance of posture, fidgeting and other non-exercise activities of day-to-day life that burn calories. In an early study published in Science, James Levine, M.D., of the Mayo Clinic, over-fed volunteers by 1000 calories per day for 8 weeks. He found that subjects who consumed calories in excess of what they needed to maintain their weight tended to increase their fidgeting and other NEAT activities, and consequently burned more calories.

during my break--15 minutes of upper body or lower body exercises using 5lb weights (I keep in a drawer at my desk) and 15 minutes of CORE exercises (abdomen)

At home, I walk to pick up each kid from school (school is in my neighborhood), walk/play with our active large breed puppy, do HIT training before each meal (such as push ups and/or squats or lunges), use a seated bicycle while watching television and/or an exercise dvd.

At gym, minimum of once a week but working on more often--30 min on elliptical and 30 min on treadmill
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)