Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

cell phone policies

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 29 Replies
I manage a construction type office and we have never had an official cell phone policy. Everyone has been reasonable and I've taken maybe 4 child related calls in the 2 years I've been there (which were emergencies and I had to leave).

But there was one girl who was hired for my department and she is on her cell nonstop. And I mean it is constant. If she isn't talking, its because the phone is ringing. Her mom watches her daughter during the day and she doesn't take the kid to the other room without calling. If it isn't the mom its the boyfriend or her teenage son.

My boss is super annoyed and chewed me out about it. Its hard to control because we don't share an office, but we are rearranging tomorrow. He strongly suggested a cell phone policy and basically if I don't reign her in I will be written up.

So what are common cell phone policies? I don't want to be too restrictive but I need to keep this girl off her phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
efarrugia
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM

at my office we aren't really allowed to make personal calls unless we are on lunch. on lady is always on her cell and the boss knows, but doesn't do much. I keep my cell on my desk, and on vibrate. if I get a call from school or my ex husband I wait til I see a message was left and then check the vm.

since it seems like your her supervisor, I would be honest and tell her that it's been noted that she is on cell too much, and personal calls need to be handled during breaks. she can't be producing much work if she is on the phone all the time. 

MsRkg
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I don't have a cell phone policy for my employees. We don't have a lot of policies at all to be honest. We do a very laid back , no- hour work week type of environment. I know that a lot of my employees have adult responsibilities and being chained to a desk 9-5 is hard sometimes. So long as the work is getting done and they are meeting expectations they are really free to do as they wish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Inmy department, we really don't have one, but others in the company are one warning, then suspended.
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I just had a new hire that was on her phone a ton. I told her I was uncomfortable with how much she was on her phone and that if she needed time to talk to people, she needed to be sure and take a break (within policy) to do so. She self corrected quickly.

I think with more and more people using their cell as a primary phone this will be a growing problem. If you don't deal with it now, you will regret it!
MelisaAnderson
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
We can't have cell phones out or on while at work. We can use them on break, but are asked the limit the use.
flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I'm a teacher so I'm not allowed to have it out in front of students. In my planning periods, I can use it all I want but I never have time. I keep it on me in my pocket at all times though just in case daycare calls. I can always excuse myself from class and return the call quickly.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Www.shrm.org might have some sample policies.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM
We're not allowed to have our phones with us at work. She needs to be told she's using her phone to much
raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Eh..we can't be on them in view of patients...basically we just text on them occasionally and have the volume down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

My employer (a call center) has a very strict, cell phone only in the break room or outside policy.  One violation is a warning, two is a write up, after that you risk your job.  The company handles customers credit info, so the policy is in place to protect the company and customers- a cell phone on the floor means the company could lose their licensing to handle customer credit info due to federal regs.  So they come down hard and fast on cell phone usage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN