Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Master's Degree.... Update 3/20/13

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 16 Replies

As most of you know I am going for my BS online right now, with plans to graduate in November.  The college recently sent me a letter recruiting/advertising their Master's program.  DH thinks I should keep going after my BS and go ahead with my Master's, which would put me getting an MBA by 30/31 years old.  He is worried if I don't do it now I won't have the time later in life.  I have told him I want to start thinking about it closer to November, see how our income etc is.  Anyone have any experience with MBA programs and young kids?  My odd will be five in December, and ydd will be three.

Update 3/20/13: I have decided not to get my MBA right away.  DH is starting to miss spending time with me, I am exhausted and need a break from something for a bit- I won't be able to take a break from work so school is it.  I will give it six months to a year probably, relax, get some things done, hopefully have a different job by then and have that adjustment made, spend more time with my family.

Update 9/17/13: so I am revisiting this after three calls in one week trying to recruit me to the MBA program.  I would only take one class at a time, instead of two, which I think is manageable.  It would add a lot to my student loans though.  My brain is so fried I am not sure what I want to do.  My mom thinks it is too much, I need to take a break.  DH thinks I should do it because I may not have the chance later.  Both are valid points.  I am trying to weigh all the pros and cons of this.  Maybe I will have more brain cells for decision making this weekend.  It is pretty ego boosting to get three calls in a week trying to get me into the proram.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I am going through the same internal debate.  I am 36, looking at having my BS in Accounting at 37 (end of this year).  I have to debate getting my MBA now or wait, or just not do it.  I am still thinking. 

JMCorbin84
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it comes down to whether or not it is going to benefit ur career or not. Will u b able to get a higher paying position, more job opportunities, etc.? For me getting a masters would put me in a teaching position, which wouldn't necessarily make me any more money unless I got a job at a very good college. I would also b considered over qualified for most positions & it would b a waste of time & money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM
My DH did when we had an infant, and then another baby. He is a better manager and has a better business sense than many. He is happy he did it.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Just keep going. I graduated almost two years ago and don't see myself going back any time soon. I think going straight through is easier

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I got my MS, starting when my kids were 5 and 1. It included some of the classes that the MBA students also have to complete. I could have had an MBA in addition to my MS with, I think, 7 or 8 more classes, but I decided I was finished. I did not do mine online, though; I went to class two nights a week for 4 hours at a time. The program I was in was a cohort program, where we took one class at a time with each class lasting 5 weeks. I had a 12-year gap between graduating with my BBA and starting my MS.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I waited to have kids till after I finished my MBA. Working full time and going to school part time was tough. I can't imagine doing it with small kids too. Will you be going to school and working at the same time? Also, consider if an mba will pay off for your career it may not be worth the time and cost.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Quoting levansbx:

I waited to have kids till after I finished my MBA. Working full time and going to school part time was tough. I can't imagine doing it with small kids too. Will you be going to school and working at the same time? Also, consider if an mba will pay off for your career it may not be worth the time and cost.

Yeah- I am currently working full time and taking classes online, I spend about 20 addl hours a week on homework.  Eachclass is five and a half weeks, and from Feb to Nov, it is two at a time the whole time.  Since my BS will be in Business Admin and Management I am pretty sure a Master's would be an asset, it might mean we end up moving to where a job would be (assuming I did this straight through) but I have no issue with that.  Add to this I just put in an app for a position similar to my current job plus benefits and room for moving up in the company.  IDK, there is a lot to think about and consider.

CafeMom Tickers
allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM

I have undergrad degrees in math, English, and education and also an MBA.  My MBA "cost" me 66 credits of work (because I had NO undergrad business credits), but I did it.  I finished it right before we adopted our son, but because I was then recruited as a school administrator, I had to go right back to school to get administrative certification if I wanted the position.  With my husband's support (he knew he'd have to pitch in more), I went back and took the 18 credits I needed and never regretted my decision.   I say go for it!

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:40 AM

My employer offers an MBA program through it's continuing education department (we are a large health system). In that case, we have a tuition reimbursement mechanism so it's less out of pocket. Also, my assumption too is that supervisors are supportive of the continuing ed, and potentially a bit flexible with time/scheduled projects, etc.

For me, I went straight through and was done with school. That was better for me. Perhaps taking a year off to see what employer benefits might be available is an option (unless you already know the answer there)?

SlightlyPerfect
Fair warning.
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

You should really continue to receive your education since you're already in the habit, but that's dependent on whether you think an MBA is worth the money. My brother is 24 and has his MBA,  and he told me his MBA is what is making him money. (The PhD was actually hindering him from finding a job, so he took it off his resume and got hired a few months later.)

If you feel it's financially worth it and intellectually rewarding, I say go for it. You'll figure out the childcare thing as you go. That's just simple logistics. I don't think you can go wrong with an MBA. It's so versatile. And since you're already in the habit of studying, continue with it. Once that's gone, it's difficult to get it back.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)