Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Going to try meal planning

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 39 Replies

I keep hearing about it, and I have tried in the past.  But this time, I will put the calendar up on the fridge, DH will have an idea of what is for dinner each night, be able to suggest alternatives.  I can just do one big old shopping trip, and not have the same convo every night.

What do you want me to make?

I don't know.

How about _______

No, I don't like that

okay (3 to 4 more suggestions)

Same answer to each.

Give up, go to fast food, or make something only he likes and another meal for DD and I.

Any suggestions for a picky family? (I don't eat onions/peppers, he doesn't like chicken, fish, pork, lamb, soup, or cooked veggies)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM

So far I have:

Spaghetti

Salsa Chicken

Pad Thai

Two Cheese Penne Pasta with chicken or steak

Grilled cheese and fries or soup

Cocktail meatballs over pasta or in a sandwich

burgers

burritos

tuna casserole

shepard's pie

meatloaf and mashed potatoes

stuffed baked potatoes

pizza

pork chops

fettucine

baked chicken

lasagne

tritip

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Go online and look for some rice recipes, there are tons.

BeachLifeMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I just started it beginning of the month, loving it that it save us money. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

No ideas...I just wish you luck. I tried and failed..probably because I don't cook dinner most nights so if I put any meat out, it just went bad. Hopefully it goes better for you!

BelindaDuvessa
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

There's a website called Pepperplate.  You can import recipes from most major sites and use them to create a menu for the week.  It will automatically make your shopping list for you.  I haven't used it much, but I have a friend who highly suggested it.

http://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com/  -Great Templates to use as well.  Check them out.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I've been wanting to try meal planning but I can't seem to get motivated to do it! Or I plan out the week and then I don't feel like eating whatever I've planned. Let us know how it goes!

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Does he really not like chicken, lamb, soup, cooked veggies, etc., or would he like them if they were prepared a certain way? So far if we go by your list of his dislikes and yours, we'd eliminate the following menu items:

Quoting deccaf:

So far I have:

Spaghetti

Salsa Chicken

Pad Thai

burgers

burritos

tuna casserole

shepard's pie

stuffed baked potatoes

pizza

pork chops

fettucine

baked chicken

lasagne

tritip

Most of the above isn't healthy, maybe even as unhealthy as fast food. If it's not the actual food items you've listed that he dislikes but just the preparation, I can offer you some suggestions, like recipes to try.

Last night, for example, I made a veal scallopini in a lemon-butter sauce with capers, a roasted veggie medley, and scalloped potatoes (all from scratch). I can't imagine anyone not liking the roasted veggie medley I made. It was the first thing to disappear off the table. Or maybe he just doesn't like certain veggies? (My medley--all fresh--was broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, and red onion. It was awesome.)

For example, does he eat casseroles, bakes, or stews? How does your family eat each night: around a table, on the go, in front of the TV? Do you eat together? Do you feel his "pickiness" is voluntary (e.g., he's just not into it) or involuntary (e.g., he's allergic)? Does it come at the expense of his kids' meals? What are they learning from his example? (I know my DH hates seafood, so I rarely make it, but now DD is picking up on it, so now he's eating seafood in front of her.)

slightlyperfect

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

He does not like chicken unless it is heavily marinated (lots of sodium, he has high blood pressure, I don't cook with salt)  He does not like them and will actually choose to go get something else when I prepare them.  However, I am tired of only eating things he likes, so I have put stuff I like on the menu, as well as stuff DD likes.  He can start dealing with it. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Does he really not like chicken, lamb, soup, cooked veggies, etc., or would he like them if they were prepared a certain way? So far if we go by your list of his dislikes and yours, we'd eliminate the following menu items:

Quoting deccaf:

So far I have:

Spaghetti

Salsa Chicken

Pad Thai

burgers

burritos

tuna casserole

shepard's pie

stuffed baked potatoes

pizza

pork chops

fettucine

baked chicken

lasagne

tritip

Most of the above isn't healthy, maybe even as unhealthy as fast food. If it's not the actual food items you've listed that he dislikes but just the preparation, I can offer you some suggestions, like recipes to try.   I make all of these items from scratch.  They are fairly healthy, as I don't see carbs as an enemy.  Yes, it is a carb heavy menu. 

Last night, for example, I made a veal scallopini in a lemon-butter sauce with capers, a roasted veggie medley, and scalloped potatoes (all from scratch). I can't imagine anyone not liking the roasted veggie medley I made. It was the first thing to disappear off the table. Or maybe he just doesn't like certain veggies? (My medley--all fresh--was broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, and red onion. It was awesome.)  I cannot bring veal into the house.  I think with this one, it is more of a moral opposition than an actual dislike, but he won't eat it, and I won't prepare it.  He doesn't like any cooked veggie.  Even stirfry, I have to keep his veggies raw. 

For example, does he eat casseroles, bakes, or stews? How does your family eat each night: around a table, on the go, in front of the TV? Do you eat together? Do you feel his "pickiness" is voluntary (e.g., he's just not into it) or involuntary (e.g., he's allergic)? Does it come at the expense of his kids' meals? What are they learning from his example? (I know my DH hates seafood, so I rarely make it, but now DD is picking up on it, so now he's eating seafood in front of her.) Casseroles, sometimes, depends on what it is.  We usually eat at the dining room table, with a few times we watch TV while eating.  But it is usually a family dinner at the table.  His pickiness is absolutely voluntary.  Some of these dislikes have only developed in the last year, like the chicken dislike.  He has no known allergies.  I often make 2 meals.  One for him, since I am not into "his" foods, and one for DD and I.  She gets to pick which meal she wants.  DD will eat darn near anything.  Some nights she isn't into the meat portion of her dinner, but she's 2, I don't think a night now and then of not eating everything will harm her.  She has a pretty healthy diet.  And she loves veggies!!!  She will try nearly anything, and actually asked me to buy butternut squash at the store.  I bought it, had her help prepare it, and she tried it.  Turns out she didn't like it that night, but we will try again, I'm thrilled she has an adventurous palette.

mickstinator
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We plan our meals out weekly. It makes dinner so much easier. We usually buy the foods for 4 specific meals, have one leftover night, one night at the in-laws, and one floating night for eating out. We usually have 2 meals that we make every week unless we decide it's old and rotate it out for another season. Right now, we have had brats every week since November. I think we're about to switch it out, maybe for red beans and rice. The staples really help because you know what to buy every week without fail. The other nights are for more variety! 

I would suggest looking at food blogs or allrecipes. If you search a food he does like (i.e. "recipes with hamburger") then you'll get loads of search results with ideas. I never come up with my own meals. 

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I honestly think that's your best bet, to make him learn to deal with it. He's not the only person in the house. Conversely, you want him to eat food he likes--and food that's healthy, especially with his medical condition--and since he's chosen voluntary pickiness, he can change that. So that's definitely a plus.

What I suggest is that you both meal plan together. At least for one week. Encourage one another to stick with it. Gert a routine established. It'll help you select something you all like, and you'll get to see any budgetary missteps and plan accordingly. (Plus, your DD will see you both working together, which is always awesome for kids.)

And raw veggies are pretty good, too! I'm just curious, though. What does he dislike about cooked veggies, like roasted or broiled? I find the cooked veggies often have more flavor. I do dislike microwaved and boiled veggies, though.

Quoting deccaf:

He does not like chicken unless it is heavily marinated (lots of sodium, he has high blood pressure, I don't cook with salt)  He does not like them and will actually choose to go get something else when I prepare them.  However, I am tired of only eating things he likes, so I have put stuff I like on the menu, as well as stuff DD likes.  He can start dealing with it.

I make all of these items from scratch.  They are fairly healthy, as I don't see carbs as an enemy.  Yes, it is a carb heavy menu.

I cannot bring veal into the house.  I think with this one, it is more of a moral opposition than an actual dislike, but he won't eat it, and I won't prepare it.  He doesn't like any cooked veggie.  Even stirfry, I have to keep his veggies raw.

Casseroles, sometimes, depends on what it is.  We usually eat at the dining room table, with a few times we watch TV while eating.  But it is usually a family dinner at the table.  His pickiness is absolutely voluntary.  Some of these dislikes have only developed in the last year, like the chicken dislike.  He has no known allergies.  I often make 2 meals.  One for him, since I am not into "his" foods, and one for DD and I.  She gets to pick which meal she wants.  DD will eat darn near anything.  Some nights she isn't into the meat portion of her dinner, but she's 2, I don't think a night now and then of not eating everything will harm her.  She has a pretty healthy diet.  And she loves veggies!!!  She will try nearly anything, and actually asked me to buy butternut squash at the store.  I bought it, had her help prepare it, and she tried it.  Turns out she didn't like it that night, but we will try again, I'm thrilled she has an adventurous palette.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)