Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Going to try meal planning

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep hearing about it, and I have tried in the past.  But this time, I will put the calendar up on the fridge, DH will have an idea of what is for dinner each night, be able to suggest alternatives.  I can just do one big old shopping trip, and not have the same convo every night.

What do you want me to make?

I don't know.

How about _______

No, I don't like that

okay (3 to 4 more suggestions)

Same answer to each.

Give up, go to fast food, or make something only he likes and another meal for DD and I.

Any suggestions for a picky family? (I don't eat onions/peppers, he doesn't like chicken, fish, pork, lamb, soup, or cooked veggies)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I honestly think that's your best bet, to make him learn to deal with it. He's not the only person in the house. Conversely, you want him to eat food he likes--and food that's healthy, especially with his medical condition--and since he's chosen voluntary pickiness, he can change that. So that's definitely a plus. The only food issue in my house is that I can't eat broccoli or cauliflower too much.  Every now and then is fine, but too often and I am miserable.  DD loves "trees", though.

What I suggest is that you both meal plan together. At least for one week. Encourage one another to stick with it. Gert a routine established. It'll help you select something you all like, and you'll get to see any budgetary missteps and plan accordingly. (Plus, your DD will see you both working together, which is always awesome for kids.)  I have posted my proposed menu.  I told him he is more than welcome to make suggestions/changes.

And raw veggies are pretty good, too! I'm just curious, though. What does he dislike about cooked veggies, like roasted or broiled? I find the cooked veggies often have more flavor. I do dislike microwaved and boiled veggies, though.  I think he dislikes the texture.  I love veggies in any form, raw, cooked, etc.

Quoting deccaf:

He does not like chicken unless it is heavily marinated (lots of sodium, he has high blood pressure, I don't cook with salt)  He does not like them and will actually choose to go get something else when I prepare them.  However, I am tired of only eating things he likes, so I have put stuff I like on the menu, as well as stuff DD likes.  He can start dealing with it.

I make all of these items from scratch.  They are fairly healthy, as I don't see carbs as an enemy.  Yes, it is a carb heavy menu.

I cannot bring veal into the house.  I think with this one, it is more of a moral opposition than an actual dislike, but he won't eat it, and I won't prepare it.  He doesn't like any cooked veggie.  Even stirfry, I have to keep his veggies raw.

Casseroles, sometimes, depends on what it is.  We usually eat at the dining room table, with a few times we watch TV while eating.  But it is usually a family dinner at the table.  His pickiness is absolutely voluntary.  Some of these dislikes have only developed in the last year, like the chicken dislike.  He has no known allergies.  I often make 2 meals.  One for him, since I am not into "his" foods, and one for DD and I.  She gets to pick which meal she wants.  DD will eat darn near anything.  Some nights she isn't into the meat portion of her dinner, but she's 2, I don't think a night now and then of not eating everything will harm her.  She has a pretty healthy diet.  And she loves veggies!!!  She will try nearly anything, and actually asked me to buy butternut squash at the store.  I bought it, had her help prepare it, and she tried it.  Turns out she didn't like it that night, but we will try again, I'm thrilled she has an adventurous palette.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Pepper plate saves so much money and time!! I have it on my phone and iPad I love it :-)

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

There's a website called Pepperplate.  You can import recipes from most major sites and use them to create a menu for the week.  It will automatically make your shopping list for you.  I haven't used it much, but I have a friend who highly suggested it.

http://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com/  -Great Templates to use as well.  Check them out.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Do you have a food processor or good blender? If you process raw vegetables you can sauté them with meant for bolognase sauce and most people don't notice, good way to sneak vegetables in :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

We have 4 kids still at home. Each week I have them each give me 1-2 things they want to have for supper the following week. Then incorporate that into the weekly schedule. Shop accordingly. Works pretty well if your DH can give you some suggestions each week.

Also try http://www.myrecipes.com/ - they have a daily what's for dinner email you can sign up for. It's pretty good. Breakfast and brunch dishes are always good for supper too!

I made Asian lettuce wraps the other day. Got the recipe from Melissa D'Arabian on the Food Network. Easy, fast, no cooked veggies (well, it does but you can leave them out).

I change up recipes as I feel like it. For instance, the lettuce wraps called for ground turkey I think...but I have a freezer full of beef so I used ground beef. Don't be afraid to make small changes like that. Might make you able to have more things that using the original recipe you wouldn't be able to do.

campingmomof4
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I meal plan on a regular basis.   I use tasteofhome.com alot.  You can put in the foods you have and it will give you recipes.   I also LOVE allrecipes.com.  

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I love doing that! (And I love your name!)

DH just got me the Ninja Kitchen System, and it's fabulous. DD and I juice every day!

Quoting eatyourveges:

Do you have a food processor or good blender? If you process raw vegetables you can sauté them with meant for bolognase sauce and most people don't notice, good way to sneak vegetables in :-)

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Taste of Home has amazing stuff. And I really appreciate their field editors.

Quoting campingmomof4:

I meal plan on a regular basis.   I use tasteofhome.com alot.  You can put in the foods you have and it will give you recipes.   I also LOVE allrecipes.com.  

slightlyperfect

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I do meal planning because its easier for our busy schedule and it's cheaper. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I'm going to have to look at tasteofhome.com.  I always need ideas.  I use allrecipes.com as well.  The only thing is that I also need recipes that don't have A LOT of ingrediants and can be make in about 30-45 minutes.

Quoting campingmomof4:

campingmomof4
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

They have meals for 30 mins or less.  You should find alot of them on both sites. 

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm going to have to look at tasteofhome.com.  I always need ideas.  I use allrecipes.com as well.  The only thing is that I also need recipes that don't have A LOT of ingrediants and can be make in about 30-45 minutes.

Quoting campingmomof4:

"One kind word can warm three winter months."
-  Japanese proverb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)