Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to try meal planning

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep hearing about it, and I have tried in the past.  But this time, I will put the calendar up on the fridge, DH will have an idea of what is for dinner each night, be able to suggest alternatives.  I can just do one big old shopping trip, and not have the same convo every night.

What do you want me to make?

I don't know.

How about _______

No, I don't like that

okay (3 to 4 more suggestions)

Same answer to each.

Give up, go to fast food, or make something only he likes and another meal for DD and I.

Any suggestions for a picky family? (I don't eat onions/peppers, he doesn't like chicken, fish, pork, lamb, soup, or cooked veggies)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Replies (31-39):
lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I lived in the PNW for awhile. But we were very much inland, we lived in Bremerton, so hunting wasn't major but fishing was. We would regularly go to the Seattle the the market and get fresh ingredients for gumbo. :) Mmm.... yummy.

Good luck with your husband. :) SO is a chef, so there isn't much he doesn't eat. We really just mind my allergies. I'm about to start doing freezer crockpot meals (prep a bunch of meals and freeze them, then pop them in the crock pot in the morning).

Quoting deccaf:

I have no clue why he has become so picky.  He used to eat a lot more.  I guess his tastes have changed as he ages.  He does not like pot roast, turkey or venison (I love elk, deer, pretty much any game, but I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, so hunting was a regular source of food.)  I don't know what his issue with pot roast is.

So far, we started last night, continued tonight (Salsa chicken is already in the crockpot), and I have told him where the menu is and that he can make suggestions.  If he chooses not to look or not to suggest, that's his problem.   

Quoting lnrmom:

We have a dry erase board in a not obvious location where we write the meal plan for the week on Sundays. We encorporate F4Y (fend for yourself) days which are really leftover days. And breakfast for dinner at least once a week.

Why is your husband so picky? Good night.

Uhm... let's see. How about pot roast (does he like roasted potatoes?), steaks, burgers, turkey, venison? Pick your main course then add the rest. We do a lot of casseroles. But most of what we do you don't like. So... *shrug* IDK. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

She is 2 

Quoting lnrmom:

I'm sorry, how old is your daughter? My girls were eating salads at like a year - they ate off my plate and wouldn't take no for an answer. They would be total vegetarrians if they didn't like burgers so much. 

Quoting deccaf:

We don't allow DD to eat lettuce or the like (raw cabbage, etc) yet.  SHe can't quite get it chewed up right so she doesn't choke.  DH won't eat soup, or stew.  He will eat chili, but DD isn't a fan.  Though she loves beans.  I think it might be the spices, though I make it very mild.

Quoting Marti123:

At a glance I didn't see any salad nights on you list, there are lots of combos there! cobb, asian, chicken & dried fruit. picky people can pick lit what they do not like.

Then we have soup or stew night weekly, chicken, cabbage, beef stew, chili, Thai chicken, etc. I would cut veggies big, so he can pick them out.

Good luck, I love meal planning. But my DH and kids will eat anything, much easier!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I lived in Bremerton when I was in the Navy!  And I went to Western Culinary Institute in Portland, but even then, I wouldn't eat onions and bell peppers.  Those are really my only foods I don't eat.

Quoting lnrmom:

I lived in the PNW for awhile. But we were very much inland, we lived in Bremerton, so hunting wasn't major but fishing was. We would regularly go to the Seattle the the market and get fresh ingredients for gumbo. :) Mmm.... yummy.

Good luck with your husband. :) SO is a chef, so there isn't much he doesn't eat. We really just mind my allergies. I'm about to start doing freezer crockpot meals (prep a bunch of meals and freeze them, then pop them in the crock pot in the morning).

Quoting deccaf:

I have no clue why he has become so picky.  He used to eat a lot more.  I guess his tastes have changed as he ages.  He does not like pot roast, turkey or venison (I love elk, deer, pretty much any game, but I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, so hunting was a regular source of food.)  I don't know what his issue with pot roast is.

So far, we started last night, continued tonight (Salsa chicken is already in the crockpot), and I have told him where the menu is and that he can make suggestions.  If he chooses not to look or not to suggest, that's his problem.   

Quoting lnrmom:

We have a dry erase board in a not obvious location where we write the meal plan for the week on Sundays. We encorporate F4Y (fend for yourself) days which are really leftover days. And breakfast for dinner at least once a week.

Uhm... let's see. How about pot roast (does he like roasted potatoes?), steaks, burgers, turkey, venison? Pick your main course then add the rest. We do a lot of casseroles. But most of what we do you don't like. So... *shrug* IDK. 

lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM

How funny! What ship were you on?

Quoting deccaf:

I lived in Bremerton when I was in the Navy!  And I went to Western Culinary Institute in Portland, but even then, I wouldn't eat onions and bell peppers.  Those are really my only foods I don't eat.

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting lnrmom:

lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Have you not tried her with salads? If you're right there, she won't choke.

Quoting deccaf:

She is 2 

Quoting lnrmom:

I'm sorry, how old is your daughter? My girls were eating salads at like a year - they ate off my plate and wouldn't take no for an answer. They would be total vegetarrians if they didn't like burgers so much. 

Quoting deccaf:

We don't allow DD to eat lettuce or the like (raw cabbage, etc) yet.  SHe can't quite get it chewed up right so she doesn't choke.  DH won't eat soup, or stew.  He will eat chili, but DD isn't a fan.  Though she loves beans.  I think it might be the spices, though I make it very mild.

Quoting Marti123:

At a glance I didn't see any salad nights on you list, there are lots of combos there! cobb, asian, chicken & dried fruit. picky people can pick lit what they do not like.

Then we have soup or stew night weekly, chicken, cabbage, beef stew, chili, Thai chicken, etc. I would cut veggies big, so he can pick them out.

Good luck, I love meal planning. But my DH and kids will eat anything, much easier!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

USS Sacramento.  It has since been decommissioned. 

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting lnrmom:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

We have given her lettuce, and she just can't chew it up.  We aren't comfortable just yet giving her leaf lettuce.

Quoting lnrmom:

Have you not tried her with salads? If you're right there, she won't choke.

Quoting deccaf:

She is 2 

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting Marti123:

lnrmom
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I had friends on that boat. Awesome. My ex was on the Stinkin' Lincoln. :) 

Quoting deccaf:

USS Sacramento.  It has since been decommissioned. 

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting lnrmom:

HotJerZMama
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I had the same issue as you. If you have a smart phone download this app called BigOven. You can look up recipes, create a meal plan and create grocery store shopping lists based on your recipes automatically (you can also add your own items). The best part of the grocery list is it automatically sorts the items by department (ie dairy, canned goods etc). It has been a whole new world since I got that app. Every Saturday I sit down w DH n he "approves" the recipes for the week (since he's super picky) and the rest is a breeze. Good luck!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)