Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What a difference...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 10 Replies

a few miles makes in cost. At my new job, my boss also has a 2 year old in daycare. In our part of town, daycare ranges from 20 to 55 per day with the average being 30 to 45 per day. We pay $35 for an amazing DCP. She is great with all the kids and is amazing at pulling out all the talents of our kid. My new boss lives about the same distance (10 miles) away from work in the opposite direction. He pays $50 per day and he says that is the cheapest they could find in their area! It doesn't sound like their DCP offers any more than ours does either. The DCP in our area that charged 55 per day did all organic meals, took them out to a daily activity (gym, museum, library), and had advanced college degrees in toddler development. They are not getting any of that for their $50 per day. What a difference 20 miles makes!!  I'm so glad we chose where we did. We have the best rated schools in the state, but we aren't paying an arm and a leg to be here. :)

Anyone else see serious price discrepancies within miles in their area in cost of living?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Wow!  Sounds like you have a great deal.  I don't have daycare anymore (all kids in school), but back when I was a teacher we had an in-home provider who charged $2.50/hour and only when you were there - never had to pay for days we didn't attend.  I have no idea if it was a competitive rate or not, but it worked for us.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM
That's a pretty big difference. I paid $800 a month for childcare. It was about average price where I lived. It was open 7:45a-6:30p and all meals were included.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

That would be great! Since we only do 8-4 T-F, that would be $80 a week. We are paying $140, and we pay holidays for her, planning days for her, sick days for our kid, and we do not get vacation days off. So we pay all year round. I want your deal! :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Wow!  Sounds like you have a great deal.  I don't have daycare anymore (all kids in school), but back when I was a teacher we had an in-home provider who charged $2.50/hour and only when you were there - never had to pay for days we didn't attend.  I have no idea if it was a competitive rate or not, but it worked for us.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

If we went full time, that would be right at where we are, except she is only open 8:10 to just after 5, so I take him and DH picks him up. It would make it tough if I had to do it all. I would have to skip lunch every day at work and still barely make it.

Quoting cjsmom1:

That's a pretty big difference. I paid $800 a month for childcare. It was about average price where I lived. It was open 7:45a-6:30p and all meals were included.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

thankfully I haven't had to pay for daycare in a looong time!

mickstinator
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

If I put my kids in daycare where I work (downtown Dallas) instead of where I live (a suburb 45 minutes away), the price would easily be doubled for the same care. The same thing happens if you keep going farther out from the city. 

We go to one of the most affordable facilities in our area. Most are Montessori schools and the like. Ours is great and it's not cheap. My two children (preschooler and 2 year old) attend 3 days a week for $45 a day. The drop-in rate is $75! Yowza.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Thats part of why we both use in home daycare. ;) even in our area centers start at 60 per day. I can't imagine his area!!

Quoting mickstinator:

If I put my kids in daycare where I work (downtown Dallas) instead of where I live (a suburb 45 minutes away), the price would easily be doubled for the same care. The same thing happens if you keep going farther out from the city. 

We go to one of the most affordable facilities in our area. Most are Montessori schools and the like. Ours is great and it's not cheap. My two children (preschooler and 2 year old) attend 3 days a week for $45 a day. The drop-in rate is $75! Yowza.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yeah, I tried two in-homes before calling it quits. It was SO MUCH CHEAPER though. I wish I could find a good one to put my kids in. Preferably one that doesn't leave my children crying in a room for hours during "nap" time.

The things you learn when you drop by unannounced.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Thats part of why we both use in home daycare. ;) even in our area centers start at 60 per day. I can't imagine his area!!

Quoting mickstinator:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

No, California is pretty expensive no matter where you are.  :(

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM

We are well beyond the daycare stage so I really can't offer any comparisons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)