Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never thought I'd ask this

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 9 Replies
After recent events in our life, I am really considering homeschooling my ds. He is 6 and in the first grade, but at the beginning of the year tested into 3rd grade. I don't want to hold him back, but I want him to be able to enjoy his childhood. He goes to school as much as an adult working 40 hrs a week. He's on the bus by 7:30 and doesn't get home until 4. That's a long day!! This year we have let him join the swimming club which I thought would teach team work and discipline. My little man is tired as swimming is from 6-7:30 on Mon and Wed. Of course you can't really eat dinner before swimming, so that leaves us rushing for dinner, shower, and teeth brushing before his 8:00 bedtime. Has anyone considered homeschooling? Or do you have advise on homeschooling?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I'm homeschooling ds (7) this year. I'm using k12 which is an online public school. We decided to homeschool because traditional school was boring him and the school wouldn't do anything to help him learn. He has tested a little above grade level and he spent a lot of time sitting in class bored.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Also, swimming for an hour and a half is kind of long. My ds would be tired after his 30 minute lessons.
laurenryan
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Quoting cjsmom1:

Also, swimming for an hour and a half is kind of long. My ds would be tired after his 30 minute lessons.

It seems long yes, but he loves it. We tried soccer before, and he just wasn't into it. He likes competing, and actually pays attention. (Huge!!) I don't want to pull him out, I just want him to enjoy being a kid.

We have friends that send their children to a homeschooling school only two days a week. That would be nice!
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Dh and I go back and forth about homeschooling. I wouldn't mind doing it if I didn't have to work full time when ds gets old enough. I've been kind of looking around at different private schools also. Ds is 2 so I have a little bit of time before we have to make a definite decision.

sarahfire
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Homeschooling is not really something I would consider at this point. My 7 yr old 2nd grader is doing well in school, yes he goes from 745am - 3pm and then my aunt picks him up and I get him from her house at 530pm

He will be doing soccer starting In March but I think it's only one day a week and one game on Saturdays.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think homeschooling while working would be very difficult.  Maybe hybrid?  Like school a couple days a week and self-study the rest?  If you or DH could be home to do the lessons everyday, that would be one thing, but I know I wouldn't be able to keep up.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I think if working from home was an option it might be easier for me to homeschool, but I feel like working 40+ hours away from home, I wouldn't be able to focus enough time on teaching. Good luck to you though!

laurenryan
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I work in sales and marketing so I am only at my desk three days a week. I don't really know if we will do it. It's just something we are considering.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

No, I have never considered it.  I like my job and my girls are doing great at their school.  I don't feel like I can give what being at school would give (outside of the curriculum).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)