Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

mom with teenager

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 10 Replies
My name is Sonya. I stayed home with my kids for 10 years, then drove a school bus for 10 until my youngest became a Senior. I was miserable driving, but did it to be with my kids as much as possible. When I finally had to take antidepressants, I decided it was time to find a job I loved. I did. LOVE my job - only now I have this overwhelming guilt for not being home til 7 pm. On top of that, now I've gained 10 pounds because I don't go to the gym because I'm rushing home to be with my family. Here's the topper: my daughter barely even speaks to me (17 and moody), so I feel like I may as well be at the gym anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WonderWomanSV
by Stacey on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Teenagers can be difficult to deal with. Have you tried incoorperating a family night. All electronics are turned off and you can have a pizza and play cards or a board game. The kids might hate it at first, but as time progresses, I bet they'll enjoy each other's company. Good luck.

sonyagm
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Actually, we have done that for years. We also go to the movies and out to eat. She seems to have fun with us, but on a day-to-day basis she's always crabby with ME. My husband says I try too hard. Could that be possible?
treysmom2292
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My 14 year old son it the same way to me.  Sometimes I think it is because I am not his bio mom but then he comes and gives me a big hug out of the blue.  I think it is just teenagers.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
That could be. Maybe let her come to you, like a friend instead of a mom? I don't have a teenager so I'm sure this advice could be thrown in the trash if you desire. Haha.

Quoting sonyagm:

Actually, we have done that for years. We also go to the movies and out to eat. She seems to have fun with us, but on a day-to-day basis she's always crabby with ME. My husband says I try too hard. Could that be possible?
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Teen years were sooooo hard with my stepdaughters. I would say just be there if she wants to talk, but don't push anything. At 17, she is probably eager to be out on her own, but far from ready to be. That can cause a lot of issues.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Oh yes. Dh tried too hard with dd and their relationship is strained. She's an adult BTW. He always wanted everything perfect for her but if course "perfect" was his definition not hers. She was the first and parents practice with the first one.... He had trouble seeing things her way. He learned to be a little mire relaxed with the last three.

Quoting sonyagm:

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Most teenagers are a challenge. Give her time, the teenager years will be over soon enough.

sonyagm
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Thankyou all so much. This website is great, just what I needed. I didn't go through this with my son. He was so easy going. He moved out when he was 19 but we have always gotten along very well. I think you all are right. I'm going to back off and give my daughter some space. She's my baby so I guess I've just been wanting to hold onto her a bit longer. I've gotta let go sometime. Looks like this is my signal.
Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The gym is important, you need to be healthy.  Teens are often moody.  My son is 12 and is starting to cranky. I give him his space and he will come around eventually. We all suffer from mom guilt.  Being home at 7pm is not that late.

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Ah - 17 - a very moody age for many.  They do grow out of it.  I survived 2 and they survived me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)