Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How to handle grumpy mornings?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 4 Replies
Like many of you, mornings are go, go, go in our house, so this Is why i am posting this in working moms. i need suggestions for a calmer morning.

So many of you know my 3yo son is a little bit high needs. He's in therapy for speech & behavior. They will not diagnose him so young, but suggestions of ODD, and disruptive behavior disorder have been used. But on a positive note, I am confident he is improving with age!

So I am looking for suggestions to deal with him waking up grumpy and violent. He is very angry and irritable in the mornings. Nothing pleases him, and when placed back in his room, he destroys things, and the tantrum lasts much longer. My DH has resorted (last resort after months of other tactics) to physical consequences when he hits me or destroys our things but it is a pretty brutal to watch from my stand point. And I would like to figure out how I can better teach him to cope with mornings.

Any pointers from moms who have been through a grumpy phase like this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM
My DS needs routine. Maybe you could make a picture chart of morning tasks so he can visualize it. Things like wake up, eat breakfast, brush teeth, get dressed, leave house.
Also I've found with older odd kids they need control, so give him choices (blue or red cup, striped or Dino shirt).
And tons of positive praise!!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Get his clothes out the night before. Have a picture chart with his morning routine so ha can visualize it.
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM
The pictures chart of morning and nighttime routines helped immensely for us too at that age (and this post is a good reminder that we will likely need that soon).

Do you typically need to wake him? Our mornings are tougher if I have to wake the kids. Maybe turning on his light or opening the door early would help in this case, allowing him to wake up more gradually? Ds1 is a early riser. He can play computer in the morning if he gets completely ready in time. But if he fusses when it is time to go, we take evening computer away. He is older and can get that complexity but maybe you can do something in the same vein for your Yds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM
No he is like a rooster, up usually before the whole house. Up pretty early. He used to hoard food early morning while we slept, but now he just wakes up in a foul mood. He often just walks up to me and starts hitting and spitting on me, for no identifiable reason. He refuses to dress, to pick out breakfast, just kicks, whines & cries. I am not sure if it's his speech or if he is still tired, or what.

We do try to bribe him with TV by showing the morning routine, start with "good morning manners" (no hitting or spitting, hugs, and kind words) followed by picking out our clothes and getting dressed, then eating breakfast THEN morning TV show, but he never gets past the good morning manners, so he rarely gets TV, lol.

I think it'll get better when he gets older. It just breaks my heart to see such a angry unhappy little 3 year old. He's 3, i wish his life was easier without this rage.

Quoting Loveplusmama:

The pictures chart of morning and nighttime routines helped immensely for us too at that age (and this post is a good reminder that we will likely need that soon).

Do you typically need to wake him? Our mornings are tougher if I have to wake the kids. Maybe turning on his light or opening the door early would help in this case, allowing him to wake up more gradually? Ds1 is a early riser. He can play computer in the morning if he gets completely ready in time. But if he fusses when it is time to go, we take evening computer away. He is older and can get that complexity but maybe you can do something in the same vein for your Yds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)