Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Tweaking the Ratios?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 6 Replies

I was watching a video on Swagbucks this morning about a British initiative to tweak the kid to care provider ratio at daycares so that daycares can hire less people and drop tuition rates.  Of course there are opponents to the idea, citing of course that less care providers means the daycares will be less safe and nurturing.

What do you think about this?  How well do you think this initiative would fly in the US?  Would you spend more to send your child to a daycare with more providers?

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I do spend more to get a more nurturing, caring environment.  The ratios the center goes by are lower than those mandated by the state.  It costs more, but DD loves the workers, the kids, and she learns so much with more attention.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I paid more to ensure ds went to a good daycare and would do it again in a heartbeat. Cost isn't the most important thing. I paid more because all the teachers were certified.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My daycare's ratio is 1:8.  I wouldn't go for a daycare with a higher student:teacher ratio.  You run the risk of certain kids falling through the cracks like we see in over crowded public schools.

CafeMom Tickers
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Hmmm, IDK, I cannot imagine any higher ratios than they have already, good grief the teachers can only be in one place at one time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We do an in-home daycare, so her ratio is never over 6:1, and even then, she usually only has 2-3 kids at a time. Its surprising to see her with all 6, but it does happen sometimes. I LOVE a smaller ratio and would pay more or stop sending my kid if the ratio changed to more kids per provider. 

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I've found the quality of the daycare staff and management far outweighs the ratio. The first daycare my son was in was below the State ratio for kids his age. The ratio was 1:8 and they were 1:6. I think the most kids he'd ever had in a room with him was 13. Three months after transitioning to the toddler room,  I had so much trouble.. (Ownership changed 4 months earlier), Communication was lacking, they took his pacifier away without consulting me, all kinds of just ridiculous age-appropriate things got blown out of proportion. We tried working through these things with staff and management. After about 6 or 7 months I started looking elsewhere.

The place I really liked had a HUGE 2 year old room, but there were 29 kids in there. I was very nervous about putting him with more than double the kids from his other school. After making 3 visits and talking with his pedi, I decided to give it a shot--gut instinct and recommendations from a neighbor.

He has done nothing but thrive in that room...socially, behaviorally, and academically. The 3 teachers are very nurturing and work with them on everything you could imagine. They owner has made it a point to give the most space to the 2 year olds because they are the ones that have the most personal space issues. Schedules are staggered so when you pick the child up, you see a familiar face AND they person in the afternoon usually knows what happened with that 10 AM boo boo.

Honestly, I'm paying $15 more a week for a higher ratio. I see it as him getting a higher "quality" of care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN