Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Where do you make friends?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 26 Replies

At my last job, the male to female ratio wasn't terrible, but not great. I would say it was about 25% female. However, everyone was at least 15 years older than me, and I was at least 45 minutes from home, so it was difficult to make any friends to do stuff with outside of work. This new job is better age wise, but worse female wise. I was sitting in a meeting today and out of curiosity counted the ratio. There were 43 people in the room and  a whopping 5 women! That would be close to a 10% ratio of women to men. Of those in the room, all but me and another woman were admin staff that I don't work with. So, how do you make friends to hang out with outside of work if you don't work with anyone you can really be friends with? I can be great friends with guys, but I would really like girlfriends to hang out with. I had a few in 2008 right before the company I was working for went bankrupt, and then all of us that had started hanging out ended up all over the country :( I miss social time!! 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I wish I had an answer. I don't have any friends that I can hang out with socially.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

There are a few girls that I hang out with outside of work, but it's not very often. I have my bff that I've known since 7th grade, but she lives 45 minutes to an hour away. Sadly most of my friends are on here.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Same here. I talk to everyone at work but never hang out outside of work.

Quoting the3Rs:

I wish I had an answer. I don't have any friends that I can hang out with socially.

Denisethedaring
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I make friends everywhere I spend any significant amount of time...work is the big one, though, since I spend so much time there!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I think that's my problem. Work is mostly guys and I haven't been there long enough to really meet any of the women. I take DS to sports on Saturday mornings, but since its toddler sports,  I am the only mom there. Its all dads taking their toddlers out, and same with any activities we do on holidays. Otherwise, I don't spend a lot of time in places because my 3 year old doesn't spend a lot of time in places. Its frustrating.

Quoting Denisethedaring:

I make friends everywhere I spend any significant amount of time...work is the big one, though, since I spend so much time there!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I had one job, where I made some great friends, and we stay in touch and get together when possible. BUT it is a ton of work, and time consuming, lol.

So now, I'm the opposite of you. I feel I have plenty of opportunity to make friends, but I'm the stuck up one, who tries to be a loner, because I don't have any more time in my week to be a "good" friend, kwim? I know I cringed when everyone said, "wait until you have a second one." but now with 2 kiddos, one being a smidge higher needs, they were sort of right  I do have that much less time for "me" and make more time with the family, which is totally worth it of course, but different. But I admit, I probably work a bit more than some moms, so you will probably still have plenty of me time after baby comes.

I plan on being one of those little old ladies who is a social butterfly in the assisted living facility, then nursing home in the retirement days, until then it is work and raising babies, LOL>>>>

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I have three good friends here, one interned at my job (and has a son my a few months older than my oldest), the other two I met through my husband.

I have friends through work too, all if them are older. The only girls around my age I work with dont have kids yet and are pretty high school-esque if you know what I mean.

I moved here when my oldest was 3 months, not knowing a soul, just my son and I. I have found it is much harder to make friends now than it used to be,
eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Like meeeeeee!

Ps the picture of you and Baylie from your Christmas card is still on my fridge, Liam likes it. I think he has a crush ;-)

Quoting leahbeah143:

There are a few girls that I hang out with outside of work, but it's not very often. I have my bff that I've known since 7th grade, but she lives 45 minutes to an hour away. Sadly most of my friends are on here.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I think I'm screwed when baby comes because I don't have any me time right now. LOL. My me time is either after DS goes to bed at night and DH is distracted, or its on the weekends with DS while DH works on his business at home. I just wish I had people to hang out with more and do stuff with the kids on the weekends so its not always just DS and I while DH works. Otherwise, weekdays I'm running from when DS gets up to when DS goes to bed, and many night long after. I just wish you ladies were closer so we could actually get together like once a month instead of just doing this all online I guess. 

Quoting Marti123:

I had one job, where I made some great friends, and we stay in touch and get together when possible. BUT it is a ton of work, and time consuming, lol.

So now, I'm the opposite of you. I feel I have plenty of opportunity to make friends, but I'm the stuck up one, who tries to be a loner, because I don't have any more time in my week to be a "good" friend, kwim? I know I cringed when everyone said, "wait until you have a second one." but now with 2 kiddos, one being a smidge higher needs, they were sort of right  I do have that much less time for "me" and make more time with the family, which is totally worth it of course, but different. But I admit, I probably work a bit more than some moms, so you will probably still have plenty of me time after baby comes.

I plan on being one of those little old ladies who is a social butterfly in the assisted living facility, then nursing home in the retirement days, until then it is work and raising babies, LOL>>>>

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Yea, that would be fun.

You know, have you started into group practices for DS in soccer and swim and those kinds of things yet? I meet some really awesome moms through those activities. It gets pretty busy, but it's fun to chat it up during practices. And you see each other every week-end.

Quoting Nighttiger:

I think I'm screwed when baby comes because I don't have any me time right now. LOL. My me time is either after DS goes to bed at night and DH is distracted, or its on the weekends with DS while DH works on his business at home. I just wish I had people to hang out with more and do stuff with the kids on the weekends so its not always just DS and I while DH works. Otherwise, weekdays I'm running from when DS gets up to when DS goes to bed, and many night long after. I just wish you ladies were closer so we could actually get together like once a month instead of just doing this all online I guess. 

Quoting Marti123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN